I'm a new rattie owner!?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

I'm a new rattie owner!?!

I got some rats on saturday. They are both dumbo, one is hooded and the other is berkshire (black with a white belly). They are 7weeks and very sweet!! when I first got them home I put them in the cage and left them there for the first night. I named the black and white one Pepper and the other Rayray. Rayray is shy of the exercise ball, but great to handle, although Pepper is very skittish.. any advise.. please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Will It Ever Change?

well! above all, be patient with them, they're new and need time to settle into your home. they may not care for an excercise ball, they're smarter than that, same with a wheel. i recommend wearing baggy clothes and sticking them up your shirt. they'll love the warmth and will learn your body quickly. they'll love to play in your clothes (while you're wearing them) and become very bonded to you. i put my boys in my sweaters while they were young, and now when i open their cage they try to go up my sleeves lol. sit on your bed with them, they'll run around and all over you. they're smart enough no to fall off the ends. they love to climb like monkeys and use their tails for balance. do not hold them by their tails as they're not meant to hold that weight. theyre young enough to still expect to be taught as though you';re their mommy, so stick 'em in the sweater and in a few days you'll have cuddly babies!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 PM
RAT ADDICT

CongRATS on the new little girls.
I agree with the things Nat has said.They will need a little time to get used to their new surroundings.Talk to them and offer treats and spend time with them.

Alot of rats do not care for balls and wheels,so if they don't use them,don't fret.A rat is content just running around a rat proofed room like a bathroom or sitting with you on the couch.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks for the advise! Rayray and Pepper are boys, I did not put a wheel in they're cage and will let them round the room for soom exercise. the baggy clothes idea is fab!! I will tell you how it goes, but in the meantime I will defiatly be patient!! Thanks again!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats!! I'm sure they'll become calmer with time. Any pictures?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 07:16 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by laydeerodentzz View Post
Thanks for the advise! Rayray and Pepper are boys, I did not put a wheel in they're cage and will let them round the room for soom exercise. the baggy clothes idea is fab!! I will tell you how it goes, but in the meantime I will defiatly be patient!! Thanks again!!
Then in my experiance with boysies...they probably won't use the wheel or ball as they get older anyway.Male rats (most and in general) are quite lazy!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I had the exact same experience with my boys. The one that ran away the first night and was so skittish actually ended up being the calm one who loved everyone. They need time. It is also true that they are the laziest creatures known to God or man. I bought them toys, a ball, a little hanging rope for climbing. By the second month all use of such toys had completely ceased. I shoulda saved the money.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

thanks everybody! Everything is going well. sorry no pics yet, I will see what I can do!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 PM

Congrats on the new ratties! You will be greatly rewarded by the rats humerous personalities! Have you ever had rats before?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

no I havent had rats before, but my knowledge of them goes above and behond what I ever expected of myself!lol

Tags
male rat, male rats, white belly