I'm not sure what to do?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'm not sure what to do?!

Ok I've had my rat muffin for a while (maybe like 3 months) and I thought she was fine but i think shes depressed.... I only have one rat (muffin) should I get another if so what should I do I dont want a fight!
thanks
~Shelley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Muffin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dutchess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

Honestly, all the books say you should. But I used to have lone rats and they were fine. My Juliet was very tiny and I wasn't going to get her a friend but my boyfriend kept hogging her and wouldn't let me play with her so I bought another one. Not only did it give her a friend but it gave him his own rat. If you do get another one it won't be much different than having one, except she will have someone to play with and snuggle with when you are away. It is up to you. I personally find it hard to give them both rqual amounts of attention because I can't help but favor one.
Whatever you decide, good luck!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well I live with my bf as well and he hogs her all the time... that was another reason why i wanna get another and I'm gunna make a huge cage for her and why not... I should get another . I just so touchy about my muffers I dont really even let other people hold her bc I'm afraid some one might hurt her. Should I get the next rat from petco as well thats where I got muffin?
~Shelley

Muffin

Dutchess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

How old do you think your rat is? Rat introductions normally go very well if the rat hasn't been alone all it's life or isn't full grown. I'd get the new rat since you seem like you really want to, and then quarantine it for at least a week and a half. Afterwards, introduce them by letting them both play with each other on neutral territory...say a new countertop or bed or table or something. Plus, rats generally take very well to having new youngsters around. If you do get a new rat, get a young one. If you can't, no big deal either. Good luck, and yes another petco rat is just fine.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks turkeyman so I quarantine her ( that what I'll be getting bc muffins a girl) for a week? I'm excited to have a new addition to my family! yay!!! also do you think that might calm her down a bit or is that just bc shes young and that will go away with time!

Muffin

Dutchess

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 06:32 PM
laugh often

Girl rats are generally more energetic throught out life. When you introduce them and all goes well make sure everything is cleaned in the old cage to prevent territorial fighting. Also giving them boring food for a few days helps keeps things calmer.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks mousey i think I'm gunna wait in a couple days I get my tax money and I'm gunna make a cage so It will be totally new and nothing to fight over!

Muffin

Dutchess

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'd say quarantine for a little more than a week -- more like ten days. Quarantining is nice because it gives the animal a chance to bond with you before it meets its new friend, and also an opportunity to monitor the animal and possibly clear some infections/sicknesses it brought home from the pet store/whereever you got it(as rodents...or any animal...are rarely kept in optimal conditions).
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Kewl Beans!

Muffin

Dutchess

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sure. It doesn't really matter where you get your other rat as long as the place is clean and the rats are healthy. Petco gets litters from different breeders so the chance of you getting another rat from the same mom is unlikely.

Like everyone has been saying quarantine the new rat. Good luck with your new addition.

I was just able to put my two girls together. Juliet is a little smaller and she always incites things and then they go into a wrestling match. They get along well. A lot of rough housing though, makes me nervous. But they will calm down some after they are together for a while.
Only problem is, I think my new female might be pregnant. Around me, Petcos only have white feeder rats. I do not like red eyes, they creep me out some. So I go her from Dave's (the only pet store that sells colored rats, all colors). Ahh, lets just say, a lower standard of pet stores. They store the rodents by age and not by sex (They let the rodents breed constantly. And they have tanks of pinkie/fuzzies just starving until they are bought as food. That store angers me so much. When I get my license I am shutting them down for animals cruelty and unsanitary conditions.). So it is very possible to walk home with one rat and end up with ten. As much as I hate them, I love colored rats… So I have to bend and buy from them. But, only rats, no food or anything else.

Last edited by APoetCalledAnya; 04-24-2007 at 12:43 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well I know the petco here they store there rats by age and sex so I wont go home with a prego rat! yikes! When I get her I will post pictures! YAY!!!

Muffin

Dutchess

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

She is so cute I couldn't resist her even if she really is pregnant. Plus, I can find better homes for her babies than if they were born there.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

If you lived near me I would take in all of the babies !

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
If you lived near me I would take in all of the babies !
My boyfriend doesn't think so, but I might keep some of the babies. He wants to give them to his friend for snake food. I would have a hard enough time doing that when I was not attached to them. But his snake eats medium sized rats. By then, I would be attached and never give them up. So, if she has babies, he can think what he wants, but I would give them to the pet store before I gave them to the snake. I know they could be sold as snake food, but I wouldn't know and I wouldn't feel guilty.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I always think it's best to feed frozen/ thawed rodents
to snakes IMO.Rats can do quite a bit of damage to what they supposed to be food for The snake's not out in the wild& the rat is being dropped into the enclosure...hard for either to retreat.
When I get snakes they'll be on frozen/ thawed only or those snake sausages food

I hope the rattie isn't preggers. *fingers crossed for you*

Tags
pet store, pet stores, red eyes, snake food