I'm scared to actually try playing with my rats D: - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I'm scared to actually try playing with my rats D:

I thought I'd ask you guys.

I've picked my rats up plenty of times now, and I've had them for a couple weeks. Pocky doesn't seem to be frightened of me and has been content just sitting on my lap while I watch TV or whatever, and I'm able to grab both pretty easily (Just Kou will try to leap away in a hurry once in a while).

However, I'm scared to death to let them go anywhere that ISN'T my body though, haha. Kou has already attempted escape twice, which has pretty much traumatized me from letting either roam.

I've read some places that it's okay to let your rats play on your bed, and it could help them get more friendly, but how do I know that they wont make a flying leap off the bed and get lost forever? Ha, I'm such a worrywart.

I'd just like some advice on how to go about building trust with your rats haha. Thank you in advanceee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:33 PM

try putting them in a room where they can not go under or get lost like the bath room maybe, go in the tub with them and let them run all over you there(no water of course lol) or make a playpen with very tall cardboard. some ideas.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

bathrooms are normally good rooms for you to start free roaming, just make sure there are no cleaners they can get into. And start rat proofing your room. Soon your rats will come when called. If one jumps off your bed if you have your door closed you are pretty sure that you will find them as long as you don't live in a huge pit, they won't hide just explore.

Once all 5 of my rats escaped in the night, and i woke up to one on my face. I was able to find them all with in 5-10 mins and that was with one being the scaredy cat rat that hid from me.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yeah or you could buy those gates things that you just put in whatever room you want and put them in there, sorta like a little playpen and put their favorite toys in there too. Treats maybe too. :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
playing, rats, trust