I'm so excited! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Oh I found the most beautiful cage. I'm going to wait until I have the money in-hand before calling about it. It looks like the bar spacing might be too wide....

Isn't that absolutely gorgeous tho?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah that really is a nice cage. you like it for mice? im unsure of the recommended bar spacing, are you able to find out what it is for that cage? it sure is pretty

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

The cage is about 22" x 18" x 30"h so it's pretty big. I'd have to find the ad to get exact dimensions -- but I remember it's just a bit smaller than my bird cage. The lady who's selling it is asking $150 for it. I don't want to bug her til I have the money in hand first and by then it might be sold. It sure is pretty tho!
And now.. it's bed time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Picture update!!!

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Aww!! So cute! When are you getting them???

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I should get them around this time next month. I think she said May 25th? They're only 3 weeks old right now, and they're so cute!
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 PM
laugh often

awwww I am so jealous. they are just out of this world cute!!!!congrats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

awwww lil' sweeties awww They are so adorable!

And your cage is SO beautiful!
congrats!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Oh, no -- I haven't bought a new cage yet lol. I would LOVE to get that cage tho! But I haven't heard back from her so I can assume it's been sold.

I'll probably end up with a Ferret Nation cage for my soon-to-be 4 boys, or a dome-top bird cage fixed up to accommodate ratties. But until then they'll be living in my plain, dull 2 1/2' square cage until the babies are big enough for something with larger bar spacing. So, the new cage will probably be something a few months from now.

Until then I have a new project to work on -- building the perfect outdoor aviary in my wasted excuse of a backyard =D. Tax returns are fun when the bills have been paid! Hopefully I won't spend all the money I was going to spend on the rat cage XD. Not like I NEED a new one or anything (or an aviary for that matter).... I have too many cages as is and not enough ratties to fill them.

Hmm... that can be fixed... ::ponder ponder:: Joking =P. I'll probably donate my extra cages to a rat rescue (again) once I get the perfect cage. I don't want to become a rat rescue!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM

Yeah you gotta be careful with that impulse to help lol. you can end up in over your head, donating sounds good. Your rats are adorable!! It makes me want some!! Also I love your ideas for fixing up the levels. Just curious, what are you going to make the actual levels out of, wood? Trying to ad more movement space to mouse aquarium and some sort of removable table style level with ladder would be perfect. Also I know how hard it can be to wait for them to be big enough to bring home. You'll make it!!! You're so lucky!
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

I found a website that shows how to make wire shelves. Wood is much too icky >_<. Plastic is, no matter how many times I tell the little ratties, NOT Edible! So I can't use plastic shelves either.
So I'll be using http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nosewaccessories.htm this website to help me make shelves for my cage.

Though, I just offered all my money to my granny for helping her buy a double-wide cage for her mated pair of blue and gold macaws... so I may need to put my future cage plans on hold for a while =(. Me and my stupid generosity! Why can't I be selfish?! lol Ah, oh well.. at least the macaws will be happier. I'll just fix up my plain, dull, square cage to make it a little prettier.

I'm gonna need some help. Ideas, anyone? Let's make this ugly thing pretty.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:45 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Well... I think to start you off we need to get any wire flooring covered with something, I recommend some bathroom tiles.
I think you should add a bright coloured blanket for them to snuggle in and lots of toys because the babies will be very energetic like mine lol!

Good luck!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i have a cage just like that but taller. i go to the salvation army or some thrift store and get blankets and bedsheets for like a dollar each. i cut them up, fold them, whatever, then i stick them on the flooring and my ratty moved them where he wants. sometimes he takes them and puts them in his food bowl to bury the food, sometimes he sleeps in them like a sleeping bag, sometimes he moves them down a level to make a bed. and after a week i just throw them out. i get them for so cheap that it's no big deal. i also sacrifice a lot of my old clothing i don't wear or doesn't fit

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Covering the floors is a good idea! I have a question about bathroom tiles; if my boys nibbled on them would it hurt them? I've always wondered about that...

I've recently started making my own hammocks. I have found some gaudy colored fleece on sale at the fabric store. As my friend puts it - my boys are "being turned gay with pinkness and rainbows".
[Clicky] to see my current cage. Aren't those hammocks just awful? My poor boys. I can only imagine how the cage would look covered in fabrics like that! =D

Oh and by the way, my mom refused my money for the macaw cage... she told me to go ahead and buy a new cage for my boys. So I'm back on the hunt.

Tags
baby rats, bird cage, food bowl, gold macaw, rat cage, snake food, sun conure