Im thinking of getting a couple of rats! advise please! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:55 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animallovercath View Post
Awesome thanks for the advise guys! Theres certainly a lot to consider. I know there are different breeds of rats too, are any breeds easier to tame then others? I want quite a sociable pair that I can get out for a few hours a day perhaps even more, and hopefully that I can get out together too! Also are any breeds more hardy then others? as a first time rat owner I want to be able to look after them properly and also learn abit from doing so and gain some experience from keeping them.
There is only ONE "breed" of rat.

There are different varieties though.And no,the different varieties do not have different temperaments (unlike dog breeds) or are any easier.It really depends on the individual rat.I will add hairless rats need more warmth and do eat more then the furry guys.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

You took the words out of my mouth, Lisa. I was going to say all domestic rats are 'fancy' rats. The hardiest being the ones with furs/tails becuase they're less likely to have deformities. HOWEVER if down the road you are going to plan to breed, be very caeful when breeding blue rats. Because, aparently, the females can get internal bleeding when pregnant if they're blue. Blue is recessive though, so the only way to get a blue rat - or the easiest way is if one of the parents is blue. If one of the parents has a blue parent but isn't blue then that means the parent is heterozygous for blue, and can either throw a blue or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

haha ah right yeah thats what i meant the different types, cus I know some are hairless, some have fur, some have dumbo ears, some are larger and some are smaller. Im not planning to breed them as Im not really sure what I would do with the babies.

Love Cathy and Holly

RIP Trixie snowdrop and lightning
Forever loved and miss my little chatterbox kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,so really it is personal choice when it comes to the look of a certain variety! I have two rexes (curly fur),a Siamese dumbo (huge ears) and a hooded standard (which is what you normally see in pet stores).

* Lisa *

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Some people already said Martin's Cages, which are wonderful. I have three of them now and just ordered a custom cage which I will get in a few weeks!

Many cages in pet stores labeled for rats are just way too small, it would be like living in a one room cabin with a friend. I personally believe that the cage posted by Diamond is too small and I would advise you to look for something larger. (I think she also said it was too small but I had a little trouble figuring out the text )

Maureen

Six new rats
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Rodentologist

As a general rule of thumb, if you're going to buy a "pet store" cage, try to buy it for an animal one sized bigger. These usually just meet the bare minimum requirements, but at least they're not way too small.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Does martins cages deliver to the UK? If not does anyone know of anywhere else I can get a cage in the UK? I want it to have sort of a medium base and at least 2 floors maybe three? xxx

Love Cathy and Holly

RIP Trixie snowdrop and lightning
Forever loved and miss my little chatterbox kids!
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:48 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am not sure.
You can click a cage like you were going to order it and when it asks your country you can check that way.

* Lisa *

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Adolescent Pup

I bought my first rat cage off work, of where I work. It was actually a mouse cage, I think, but it did them fine as a first home because they were only young. The cage I have them in now I got off a friend who got it off a pet store, and its plenty big enough

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

yes I did say that cage was 2 small. Although the rats are small males. I have yet to get pictures from her of the bigger cage.
Ferret cages like the 3 tower ones as in the big big ones work for rats but adult rats young ones can get out or if you have dwarf like me they can as well. I know some people that have ferret cages the big ones for their rats.
There is cages like the martins cage but you can always look on line for Rat cages that are made for rats or have one custom made like the martins.
your rats are very beautiful by the way.
Daimond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.

Tags
rats