Inca’s “Final” Amputation on Wed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Inca’s “Final” Amputation on Wed

Poor little scared Inca went through some unnamed horror and ended up with a badly scarred tail, and lost her foot…it was amputated just below the hock. This is the same place that Azzie with her bitten, scarred up ear canal came from! So we pretty much know there was no vet care or care of any sort. They were dumped in boxes at a pet supply place but the owner refused to keep them there, and an employee took them home for a short while to an angry father who told him he had 3 days to find them a home, or they were being thrown out the door.

Inca ended up here finally, and I took her to Dr Munn for a look at her stub since it looked so sore. Well unfortunately, its ulcerating and it’s hurting her, so with the help/kindness of “strangers” Inca is going to be having a lot more of her leg removed sooner than later…it will clean it up, and she won’t be able to use it and cause it to ulcerate any more. This is my first serious amputation, so I am a bit (read a lot) nervous for her. Inca was a girl who went from screaming when you tried to pick her up, but then turning to lick, to a girl who craves human attention, and doesn’t run from hands anymore, although very occasionally makes an involuntary squeak LOL

Wish us luck tomorrow, she may not need it as much as my nerves will…hehehehe.

Inca’s stubby when she arrived on Dec. 11th

and looking a LOT more sore and weeping. I took her to Dr. Munn the next day.

With her old cagemate Tria

Balancing on her stub

AND Lilith will be getting examined for her possible keratoacanthoma on her face.

I am hoping the vet is able to remove it easily

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Good luck, Inca and Lilith. I hope it all goes well!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Part of the Pack

good luck, the boys and i are praying for some good vibes to come your way...

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Inca did well yesterday, but I was sent home with an injectable opiate to give her sub-q every 6-8 hours as needed, plus metacam and baytril.

Lilith had the growth removed but cried while her face was being cleaned up.

Lilith's face

Inca's amputation

and this morning, after her 6 am injection, and her 8 am metacam...comfy in my comforter

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Part of the Pack

they look great spaz~!

poor Lilith she's so brave! i love how inca had a block in her mouth as she took the picture. i'm glad the surgeries went well~!

yay for christmas miracles!

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Both are such brave little girls. I hope they recover well and quickly!!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Poor sweeties, I am sure they are very very happy to be back at home with Mom and done with the vet's office. Breyer said it best, they are such brave little girls! Give them healing kisses from me and I hope they have a comfy and fast recovery.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

such brave little girls!
glad to see Inca holding her block tightly Is the hair going to re-grow you think and then you won't really see the scar?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
such brave little girls!
glad to see Inca holding her block tightly Is the hair going to re-grow you think and then you won't really see the scar?
Yep...I'll keep updating this thread so you can see the healing process

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

alright, thanks! and please keep telling us how they're both doing
Glad they could remove Lilith's... thing! (can't spell it haha)
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
alright, thanks! and please keep telling us how they're both doing
Glad they could remove Lilith's... thing! (can't spell it haha)
Lilith's "thing" works very well . I am using a special cream on it they usually use on burns to help it heal. She's looking good.

Inca got her 3rd injection of her buprenorphine soon after I got home tonight, and is doing well. She's not drinking much which does worry me a little, but she's eating and seems bright. When I gave her the sub-q injection I pulled on her skin and there was no distinct "tenting" to let me think she was dehydrated, so I will just watch her carefully. She spent some time with her old cagemate Tria, and now she's snoozing in the hospital cage.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I imagine that if she does get too dehydrated, you could always sub-q some solution?
I've had to do that a few times on rescued squirrels!
I'm glad they're doing well I'm curious to know what kind of cream this is? In France for burns we use Biafine, is it something like that?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
I imagine that if she does get too dehydrated, you could always sub-q some solution?
I've had to do that a few times on rescued squirrels!
I'm glad they're doing well I'm curious to know what kind of cream this is? In France for burns we use Biafine, is it something like that?
Flamazine is her cream

http://www.emessalabs.com/?page=prod...ils&prdc_id=30

Well she's eating and drinking well now, so I don't have to worry about sub-q'g the squirmy thing

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I woke up at 4:30 am with a headache from strange rat dreams...I really hope that the security guard didn't find that sickly teeny black and white hoodie that I was hiding in my shirt, even though I had to hand back the beige and black boys to him :/

So I took out Inca and Tria...

Inca is doing AMAZING...just metacam for a couple more days and I think we are good to go

Figuring out how to groom

Bouncing (it makes her look like she's a 2 legged rat)

and exploring the shelves where I keep all my rat dishes...back to being a little girly troublemaker...I love it!!

Issa has responded to the dex, she's less wobbly and more alert now, and able to eat cheerios sitting upright.

I also have a wonderful update on Lilith

The scab on her cheek has fallen off, with nice pink skin underneath...only issue now is a swelling above her eye, but I am thinking its a stye, and I will try to compress it and see what happens.

My lovely happy Lilith

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ahhh, thank you so much for the updates and pics! I was thinking about the girls over the holidays and hoping they were doing okay and it looks like they are doing wonderfully!! They both look happy and comfy. So glad to see them doing well!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.