Infant Wild Mouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Infant Wild Mouse

Hello everyone. This is my first post on PT and I joined specifically because I'm at a loss here.

About 36 hours ago, we inadvertently became the caretaker of a tiny baby mouse. Judging by size, I suspect he was maybe 5 days old when we found him, being batted around by a kitten. We suspect he's probably a field mouse (we live right next to a corn field), though could be a house mouse I suppose also (though we haven't seen any mice yet, then again we just moved into this house in July).

I've been feeding him soy based formula and giving him a little Pedialyte since a pinch test showed he was mildly dehydrated. At first he didn't poo or pee, but just in the last few feedings he's begun to, which I take as a good sign. However, I just noticed today that he's also making a little clicking noise from time to time when he eats, and only one time that I've noticed, that he clicked in his bed right after eating. When I looked up clicking, I saw that it could mean pneumonia. I'd hate to think the little guy has held on almost 2 days, and now has pneumonia. Should I definitely assume that is what is causing the clicking?

We've been keeping his sleeping area between 80 and 90F, he's fed every 2-4 hours, rub his tummy when feeding is done, and he moves around quite a bit, though does twitch a LOT. I've been worried ever since we got him, but doing my best (and lots of research) to help him recover, even though his survival chance is probably less than 25%.

Lastly, I live in a very small town in South Dakota and there are not wildlife rescues or anything around here, just a couple vets. I'm unsure how much help they would be willing to offer, as this is farm country, and their main priority is the livestock, so a baby field mouse might not be at the top of their priorities. I could be wrong, but it's a hunch.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sad to report that the mouse died. Can't figure out how to delete this post. Please ignore now.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Newborn Pup

I'm very sorry to hear about the little one. It can very difficult to hand raise a very young baby. If you find any others in the future I would like to direct you to my orphans page with a lot of information a number of different people, including some very nice videos from Aud Fisher. I can't post links because I don't have enough posts. Not sure why that matters, but you can find it on my site Bucky Goldstein's G.W. Deer Mouse Ranch in the article section under "orphans".

paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you, Paul. My kids and I were very sad when the little guy passed. I read the <25% chance of survival, and figured with my complete inexperience, probably more like <10%, but we still wanted to try. I kept thinking if he makes it, this little mouse could be the best pet ever, or worse case scenario he's horrible and then we could just let him go in a field. I admit I had high hopes, so when I found him dead, I did tear up a little. It was surprising how quickly I became attached to the little fellow in just 4 days.

I had, in fact, previously found those video's you've posted on your site and they were IMMENSELY helpful! I'm hoping upon hope that I don't find any more, but at least I know what to do now in the event that I do.

Thank you again!

Tags
wild baby mouse