injured mouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy injured mouse

hi. new here. i've got a couple questions
i owned rats in the past, so i was actually looking into getting a rat and posted an ad on craigslist for anyone that needed to get rid of them since i didnt want to get any from a store
well instead i got contacted by a lady with a mouse she needed to get rid of. she said she might take him back to the pet store x_x
so i caved and went to look at this mouse, and as soon as i saw him it was terrible. he has scabs all over and his tail is broken halfway with lumps (i think there might be pus in them)
she said her other mice attacked him. i dont think she introduced them right or something. he came to me in a shoe box because "she had nowhere else to keep him separate". he was terrified
i went out and got a cage for him and supplies and when i got home i soaked him in some warm water with plain nonscented soap on his wounds.
is there anything else i should do? hes eating really well but for the wounds should i do anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:41 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That was so sad, poor little mouse!!
I am sure he was scared, the sweet little guy. I am so glad that you took him and are trying to nurse him back to health. Good for you.
Well, the warm water and unscented soap is probably a great first step for him, and after that, well, I know there are many people on this forum who are very knowledgeable about home first aid and care for mice, so I am hoping you get some good advice. Can you also consult with a good local small animal vet over the phone for starters to get some tips on trying to heal him up a bit? I am so glad he is eating..that is good sign. What a poor little guy...thank you for being such an angel and taking him. I am sure he feels loved already.

P.S. Did you give him a name yet?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 PM
laugh often

The warm baths are ok but mice generally dont need them often and they can create ear inffections and get chilled rather fast. However in hot summers I would occassionall let mine just "swim" in the sink and bundle them good after wards. However do not use soap. It can hurt them if they ingest any of it. If there are lunmo then it is more than liekly abcesses. Which is infected wounds you cn go to a vet for antibiotic to help control the infection. However I hve adopted a few mice at times and the abcesses would "pus out before I could get them to a vet. So in those situations I would gently pick up the mouse and clean with diluted alcohol and a q-tip, WHen the abcess is ready it'll just pop you do not need to pick at it at all. Once it is clean of all the puss reclean it at least twcie a day for a few days. I suggest getting yesterdays news cat litter without baking soda. And keep the cage very clean until the wounds are clear you can also use (clean paper bedding without dyes and such.

If it is a male mouse than more than likely the fighting was due to simply being males. It's not about introducing them correctly. Most males will always fight and sometimes fight to the death with other males. But females are colony creatures.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna