Introduced second rat- strange behavior? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Introduced second rat- strange behavior?

I have two female rats- the senior, Bella Lugosi, I've had for a few months now and shes had to live by herself in that time. Recently I introduced Lon Chaney, and after finally getting the two to live peacefully in the same cage (Bella was territorial at first), I wondered about a strange behavior I saw. It seemed Lonnie, the younger rat (and half Bella's size!) has been chasing Bella around and crawling around underneath her, literally getting underfoot, ducking under her belly again and again. Does this mean something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:45 AM

Does she make any attempt to nip or nuzzle Bella whilst underneath? Is she moving rapidly? Does Bella show signs of distress, or attempt to move away? My girls do this sometimes when they play fight, one will get underneath the other, and nuzzle across the belly, I think it is just part of their learning process, it happens quickly, the one having the belly nuzzled will attempt to escape and reverse roles, they are sisters, other than that I cannot offer any advice, other than to watch for biting or audible signs of distress from either one..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 10:29 AM
I am allergic to maths

My thought was maybe Lon was too young to be weaned and separated from her mother and its in her nature to suckle at that age and thats what shes trying to do to Bella
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:35 AM
the rodent lover<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
My thought was maybe Lon was too young to be weaned and separated from her mother and its in her nature to suckle at that age and thats what shes trying to do to Bella
This sounds really reasonable to me.
How young is the new rat?

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:47 PM

Sounds likely. Also, it might not just be the weaning, it might also be the natural instinct to hide beneath mum.
I love seeing little guys under mum. SO CUTE.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Thatcher View Post
Does she make any attempt to nip or nuzzle Bella whilst underneath? Is she moving rapidly? Does Bella show signs of distress, or attempt to move away?
This, all of this! Bella gets SO annoyed when she does it! I didn't think they were fighting but I wondered if they were playing or if Lonnie was trying to make Bella her new mommy. I don't know how old she is, I just got her and didn't think to ask...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Yeah, never considered the weaning thing, sounds likely to me too if age is the factor....

Tags
rats strange behavior