Photos! introducing new rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

introducing new rats

I got two rats at the store not too long ago, but unfortunately one of them was sick and died shortly after. It's only been a little over a week, but I didn't want my other rat to get too used to being alone, so I went ahead and got him some friends. (I wanted one but ended up with two new guys) I've been keeping the new guys in a separate cage next to Ty's cage so they are aware of each other. I've also been putting them in the tub to get acquainted on neutral grounds. I only got the new guys yesterday so this may be normal, but when they're in the tub, I try to put the new guys in one at a time so Ty feels a little less threatened. Yesterday went great, one of them bucked up at Ty, but no fighting so I think that's a good sign.

When I put them together today, the same one bucked up but again, no actual fight. Everything seems fine except I think Ty's starting to get a little scared, because sometimes he tries to jump out of the tub.

I think it's normal for Ty to feel a little scared (he's pretty shy as it is), and I feel like since they haven't fought, it may just be normal introduction jitters... but do you guys think I have a reason to worry?

(also, they're a tiny bit bigger than Ty, but not by much. None of them are full grown yet, and I think at most they're one month older)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moble 027.jpg (55.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg moble 029.jpg (53.0 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

They are so cute! What sweeties! Good luck on working with them to get them happy together. It was a very good decision to get your lone ratty company. Rats can get very depressed when alone. You might want to put a big bath towel in the tub when they are doing their tub sessions together. Gives them more traction and is a bit more comfy for them. Hope to see more pictures soon.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

Congrats, and as Vlad said, very wise decision getting him some new friends. Rats are very social. They are all very cute.

I agree with the towel idea, also put in a few hiding places (old paper towel rolls, cereal boxes with holes cut in, Kleenex boxes with unused Kleenex to shred, etc.). One of the reasons they may be having altercations is that there is no where to run and hide when any of them feel threatened. That should make introductions a LOT easier for you.

Good luck and keep us updated!!

Great information on
Great information on choosing
Great information on

Mommy to: Cocoa and Gracie (Siamese ratties), Lilly and Mercedes (fancy ratties), Minnie Mouse (dumbo eared rattie), Nova, Lucy and Titan (male Bettas), tropical 15 -and -10 gallon tanks, and a kitten named Mowgli. Plus two human kids!

Tags
introducing, rats