Introduction/Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Introduction/Question

Hello all,

My wife and me bought three "white mice" and we did not know their gender at the time. We got two grey females and one black male. We got the possibility to separate them because we got two habitats. One is quite huge (80*60cm) and the other one is about half the size (maybe a few cm smaller). We made two wooden houses for them (will include photos at some time). The thing is, we would not like them to reproduce so we are thinking of getting another male and separate them so they would be in 2 pairs meaning females in one habitat, and males in another.

What is the best way to do that, my primary concern is that getting a new male will make the existing one hate and attack him. I forgot to mention, our mice are about 1 month old. Would it be OK to get one more male mouse and let him live with the existing one? Is there any other advice you guys could provide?

I look forward to receiving an answer to this post as soon as possible as I am afraid they might start mating.

Thanks

EDIT: I just called the pet center, they will have mice available on Friday (today is Monday) and they will be very young. I thought this info might be useful.

Last edited by Delboy; 03-25-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

First: absolutely do NOT leave males and females together for any period of time at all if you do not want them to reproduce. The male can impregnate the female faster than you might think!

Second: do not house more than one male mouse together. Males are extremely territorial and do not tolerate living with other males, even if they are siblings. They will fight to the death, given the chance.

I'd recommend you keep the two females together in one cage, and the male in his own separate cage. He will not be lonely--male mice prefer to be on their own (and need to be, unless you want tons of babies soon!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, Breyer said it perfectly and I agree, so I guess my post will just be, "ditto what Breyer said."

Good luck with your mice and keep in touch with us?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Tags
housing, mating, mice, mouse, white mouse