Intros - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Intros

I got my neice 2 mice from the petstore and of course I got a boy and a girl (I wasn't really paying attention when my neice picked out the mice, and the chick said they were bothgirls )
So now I have to introduce the girl to my girls. I have 3.
I'm going to clean out the cage really well.
I was thinking about using vinegar instead of bleach...is this okay? and how much should I use? I really don't want to use bleach...I know it has to be diluted, I just don't like the idea.

And also, when I'm cleaning the cage I'm going to do it outside, and while I"m cleaning I'm going to let the girlies free range on my deck (I have a table on there, don't worry they can't go anywhere)
Should I do the vanilla thing or should I just see how they react to each other?

Thanks in advance

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:27 PM

thanks yeh rats do make good pets for teens as some may bite the child iff the child is not holding the (well any) animal proparly
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 09:18 PM

I've read in a few places (not entirely sure where) that the vanilla thing can actually make introductions more difficult since they'll be unsettled about not being able to tell each other's scents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:11 AM

With female mice, I think you should go with a direct introduction in a neutral place. I don't think you need to add anything... just let them run together where there's no previous scent of any of them and watch them. Sometimes, when introducing 1 to a group, I kinda favor the lone one, meaning that I let her run in the cage alone first for about 5 minutes, and then put in the group. Introducing the mice this way has always worked for me.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 05:57 AM
Playful Pup

My intros page

http://www.allaboutmice.co.uk/introductions/

though you sound like you'll be fine anyway. One thing though, did the boy and girl travel home together?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Yea they were in the same box. I know it's been awhile, but I"m kinda sketchy about putting the girl in with mine. She doesn't look to healthy. I meant to say something to my brother today but I forgot. I think I'm going to tell him to take care of her and buy the cage. I have 3 girls in a 10 gallon tank, and I know that's tight enough. I don't want to add another girl...that means I"ll have to get a bigger tank.

*Missy*
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 03:35 AM
Playful Pup

You realise she's almost certainly gonna be pregnant then? I'd complain to the pet shop myself - it was irresponsible of them to allow a boy and girl to be sold together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeces
You realise she's almost certainly gonna be pregnant then?
Chances are that if they sold them together thinking they were the same gender then they keep both genders in the same tank anyway...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I really don't want to bother with the mice. I've had baby mice before, and then I was in over my head and it took forever to find homes for all the mice. I don't want to sound rude to my brother, but I don't want to get attached to the babies if she is pregnant. I have 2 rats to deal with one now, with one that is possibly not going to make it. I just have my own animals to deal with and I don't want to deal with his.

*Missy*
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 11:00 PM
laugh often

Petco's and petsmart's will more than likely not do anything about pregger mice except exchange or refund them their not held reliable being that the mice could.ve gotten pregger from the breeder at least that's what I've been told by them. I wish you the best. Um. To clean the cage I use alcohol and water.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Will It Ever Change?

the vanilla thing is helpful with degus, but that's because they're picky terds sometimes. i'd think just some neutral ground will be okay wiht meecies

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Omg this post is like a year old...LOL

*Missy*

Tags
baby mice, bigger tank, female mice, male mice, pet shop