Iris - Only 4-5 months old :'( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Iris - Only 4-5 months old :'(

Iris was found by a road in a nearby city, and was taken to a local animal control. Luckily a wonderful worker there contacted a rescue friend of mine about this sick wee rat, who had come in with blood and fluid pouring out of her ear. My friend called me from the shelter and told me how sick “the beige hooded girl” was, but we knew that she was to be pts that afternoon or we could give her a chance. She arrived the next day at my home. Everyone who met her or even heard about her, fell in love with the tiny brave fighter. You had absolutely NO choice in the matter. A little petstore or even feeder rat girl who might have once been beautiful to the average person, but to us rat lovers she was radiant no matter what.

Iris and I fought hard together to try to beat this thing and had some lovely days and some scary and worrisome days, but finally her body couldn’t take one more setback, and sadly the setback was tonight. So she left us, leaving an unhealthy, pain ridden body behind, and for that I will be happy.

My heart aches at her loss, but I was the lucky one this time to have had her in my life for the last 9 days.

Her first night

Her first time eating by herself (I was syringing food into her)

Sleeping in my hand…she trusted me

Friends

Exploring on the couch and endtable for the first time

Such a sweet, gentle soul

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:50 PM

Thats really great you took her in! She looks beautiful!
Its easy to say she found a friend a you though.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
Thats really great you took her in! She looks beautiful!
Its easy to say she found a friend a you though.
Thanks. We tried so hard, different meds, syringe feeding, sub-cutaneous injections to keep her hydrated and her meds into her, eye lubricant, sleeping on or near me for the first 5 days...

I am glad she is at peace though.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Aw she was beautiful, I don't think she looked sick at all. RIP Sweetheart...I hope the rainbow bridge is treating you perfectly Thats so sad.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I left out the terribly sick Iris pics out of her memorial. I had a whole morning and evening update thing post on Goosemoose, and there you could see the downturns, and the horrid infection in her ear, the "dead" eye, the blood that sometimes came out of her ear etc...but her eyes were always bright and she just kept trying. No matter what I did to her, as soon as I touched her she would perk up, and brux. She was an angel who had been sick and untreated for many many months. My vet is pretty sure the infection got so bad that her eardrum burst before I got her.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh, so sad! The poor little girl. I know you tried everything you could do. *hugs*

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 AM

Poor baby. I'm so glad you gave her a loving home for her last few days. RIP sweet rattie.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 PM

what a beautiful girl. may she rest in peace
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:09 PM

RIP Iris!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Part of the Pack

you're right. i'm in love. it's so sad when such a beautiful rattie is only with you for a short time, but they affect you the most.

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail