Ive been bitten by the bug! Rats rats rats rats rats... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Talking Ive been bitten by the bug! Rats rats rats rats rats...

Its official. Im totally and completely OBCESSED with rats!! I just cant keep my mind off them... They are soooo adorable... They seem like such sweet litttle companions.... rats rats rats!! I want some really bad and Im trying to convince my mom they are totally awesome, and I think it might be working a teeny tiny bit. She doesnt like their tails. I them tho! I have a few quick ??s about them tho: What breed is best/the sweetest? Male or Female? And I have a spare rabbit cage thats about 30in long, 18in wide, and 14in tall. It has a shelf too. Would that be ok for a pair? Ive done some research, but I get so caught up in the cute pics i dont learn much! I spent 20 min at the petstore today just staring at some. So far out of the girls, I really like a broken fawn, a black hooded with a blaze, and a brownish-biege, I forgot her markings tho. Theres also a PEW thats growing on me... all are dumbo. Out of the males, I love the little hairless! They where all in the tube together(exept for the hairless), so I didnt see any others that really caught my eye. Im still working on my mom to get her to like them, and Im hoping she'll crack before Christmas. Wish me luck! Any advice is appreciated.

(oh, and Lisa, THIS OBCESSION IS ALL YOUR FAULT!! And I love you for it! )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You know, there are rats without tails. They're called Manx rats. Maybe your mom won't mind those?

Either way I hope you get your rats .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you can ask to look at the rats at the petstore and hold some... your mom will like that you stick your hand in and they are already taime... at least my mom thought that was neato.

on your cage it depends on how wide the bar spacing is your rats may be able to get out.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post

(oh, and Lisa, THIS OBCESSION IS ALL YOUR FAULT!! And I love you for it! )

Excellant....my plan is working!!!

Anyway no "breed" is better then another.Actually in the rat world,they are not breeds...they are varieties.Every domestic rat is Rattus norvegicus - but they come in all shapes,colors and varities.You get hairless,rex (curly fur and whiskers),dumbo (big ears...all but one of mine are dumbo!!),manx (no tail)...etc! And there are so many colors!

As for male/female...it is really personal preferance.

In general females are alot more active.They rather run about and explore,are smaller and sleeker then males and are very adventerous.They are prone to tumors tho - which is a big con.Spaying them helps reduce this tho.

The male is a very lazy animal,makes a better lap rat and will sit with you and watch TV or sit with you while your on the computer.They are quite cuddly and can become very big and squishy (as you seen with my Armand).They do scent mark tho,pretty much everything - including their humans! Some people find this very undesirable.I on the otherhand don't mind it and just wash surfaces or items the boys have marked.

So as you can see,it really doesn't matter...they both make WONDERFUL pets,it is just personal preferance.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Lisa said everything.

As far as the cage, I think my first was a rabbit or guinea pig cage. It didn't have a shelf so I built one. A good thing to do is take the dimensions and pop them into a cage calculator. Just google rat cage calculator and you'll come up with some. As far as I can tell off the top of my head, those dimensions sound about right for 2 rats but you'd probably want to invest in something bigger. Rats like levels and should have levels.

*Missy*
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

I Can always add levels- I just attatch a lid for a 10 gallon aquarium inside. I have one thats taller too and I might be able get get 3 shelfs in there. I was looking a bit more for a lap rat than a hyper one- I want a squishy!! Thanks Sasami- I didnt know they come with out tails! Personally, I love their tales, but If I get one, my mom might make me get a manx. I think Ill do a little report thingy on them and about their care and show it to my mom and Im hoping with a little negotiation, I can get one. Thanks every one!!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

There are a few manx breeders around, just make sure you check their reputation. Some sneaky breeders will actually cut their tails off when they are pinkies and call them manx when really they're not manx. You can go to ratsrule.com and always check on breeders for their reputations. There are also a lot of adoptions on there for minnesota.

*Missy*
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have used rabbit/guinea pig cages before,you can add shelves.

Good luck in convincing your mom...bring her here and show her our ratties and how cute they are! Bring her to a store or a breeder and show her how friendly they are - in this case,a breeder would be best,as the rats will be well socialized.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I would definitely say try to find a breeder not a petstore. I have a horribly sad story I haven't shared with anyone here yet because it's been too hard to talk about. My fiance and I bought two baby boy rats a few months ago, and fell in love. We read up ahead of time and got some that showed no signs of illness while handling them at the store. However, about a week after we bought them one and then the other began breathing hard, appearing lethargic, and gurgling or wheezing. We took them to the vet when we noticed these symptoms. They got antibiotic and felt better until it ran out, then the symptoms came back. Then back to the vet for more meds, more bills, and lucky for us, this time a case of mites courtesy of the animal who had been in the exam room before us. So back to the vet, mite treatment, plus the second dose of antibiotic is gone and the symptoms of respiratory infection have returned. Long story short, they loved us, answered to their names, and we adored them and after about two months and approx. $300--both gone. It's heart breaking. We are now communicating with a reputable breeder of dumbos because we're never doing that again.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have had bad experiances with pet store rats as well.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

The pet store I like has really nice-looking and well socialized rats- If you stick your hand in the cage they all come to greet you! I would prefer a breeder tho, but I cant seem to find any...
Any way, I went to the petstore yesterday to show my mom all the beautiful ratties. It didnt go to well tho. The way home she was saying how I should just appericiate al that I have, and she doesnt want more pets, and stuff... I wont give up yet tho!!!

I have a little favor to ask all you rat owners if you dont mind: Could you please say why rats are awsome pets? Im trying to make a list of quotes from rat owners to show my mom to prove they are the bestest little dudes ever. Thanks!

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 03:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

Rats are friendly,VERY smart and can learn almost anything a dog can,they are affectionate,playful (well this is mainly for females and youngsters),clean...etc.

I think everything about them is awesome.They don't live long tho
(2-3 yrs,sometimes you get the odd 4 yr old).They can learn their names and really make you feel happy when your down.They are also addicting.

I don't have a bad thing to say about rats.

Here is a list...the top 100 reasons rats rock! Show your mom this and get her to come on and look at ratty pics online.Did she handle them or anything at the store?

Click and read this!
Pet Rats Information, Care and Training Resource | FancyPetRats.com

* Lisa *

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

No, she didnt want to handle them. She said she didnt want me to get one right now, cuz we have so many animals all ready, and that maybe I can get some another time. I kinda agree. I have enough time for the most part for them and I have all the $$ to get them, but the school year is just starting and Im not sure Ill have enough time for them once I get more homework and stuff. And it wouldnt be fair for them if I didnt have enough time. So I think Ill wait more twards the summer, cuz then I have an unbelievable amount of extra time! Im still totally obcesses with them tho... And thanks for all of everyones help!

Those are totally awesome reasons tho!

Last edited by Jess; 09-15-2007 at 05:15 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 06:10 PM
RAT ADDICT

Good idea.If you KNOW you won't have time,then it is best not to get one right now.You made a good descision then.Especially since you can't just leave a rat in a cage.

And just think,when you can get a pair,the wait will totally be worth it.In the meantime,you can just do research and admire all of our babies!!

* Lisa *

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

in my opinion, dumbo male rats are the friendliest, sweetest little cuddly guys ever, they are quite large, but are supposedly the friendlest anyway.

Tags
baby rats, black hooded, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig cages, male rat, male rats, pet rats, pet store, pet store rats, pig cages, rabbit cage, rat cage, reputable breeder, respiratory infection, social animals, wonderful pets