I've really lost it now! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Great advice Carmen. The baby was already peeking through the bars so I'd better get some mesh asap.

I forgot to mention that another reason I was on an animal saving mission was because my co-worker was talking about her neighbors torturing animals. I won't go into details but it was terrible and when I had a chance to save the mice, I went for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:58 PM

Hey... what are the names.... I don't think you didn't said them...
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Hey... what are the names.... I don't think you didn't said them...
Well I don't have names for them yet. I'm thinking Isabelle for the Siamese looking one. I'm not sure about the other two. I'll post pics and you guys can help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 05:21 PM

Siamese looking one?!?!?!?!?! ahh.. I need a smilie here... stupid computer doesn't let me use them!! grrrrr... now I'm really really jealous of you! Rats AND a siamese mouse.... You NEED to post pics!!! LOL
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thats how i started out with mice, i rescued 2 and ended up with a colony of 35 or so female mice in a very large tank that filled half a wall and was on two levels, i just kept on taking mice in and the number grew, i also had a tank of male mice but only had 3 of those but loved them all to bits and with careful cleaning they don't really smell too bad males smell more than females but as long as the cage cleaning is frequent its ok! Congratulations on the new arrivals hope they bring you lots of joy

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Siamese looking one?!?!?!?!?! ahh.. I need a smilie here... stupid computer doesn't let me use them!! grrrrr... now I'm really really jealous of you! Rats AND a siamese mouse.... You NEED to post pics!!! LOL
Snap, I always wanted a siamese mouse but never had one , you must post pics soon

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 05:40 PM

AHH!! siamese are evil.. EVILLL!!! LOL!

I've had so much bad luck with siamese rats and mice... that I just stay away from the color pattern altogether. I know it has nothing to do with it, but it's like a curse on me!! And yet I have a blue lynx point mitted siamese kitty!!!

but yeah, my first two pet mice were female siamese retired feeder breeder mice. they were "retired" so they were put up for ... yeah.. free feeders. I took two, who both wound up pregnant, and one ate the babies while the other ate half of her babies.... they also bit constantly and could not be handled. Very skiddish, but I didn't blame them.. they had a hard life of constantly giving birth to feed reptiles *sighs*...

my first siamese rat? OHHH man.. She was actually a himalayan rat, and her name was Amethyst. She bit without warning (HARD bites, I mean blood for hours hard), and without prejudice. She was also a pregnant feeder rat. you would NOT believe how many siamese and himalayan rats and mice are mixed in with the PEWs in pet stores! personally I believe they're all the same, but back then I wanted a siamese marked rat more than anything..... anyway, she had 14 babies (15 but one was stillborn) and the babies all found homes.. but I do know one of the boys developed the bad temperament the mom had.

and the last but not least siamese rat/mouse I ever had.. Dante, a siamese rex rat who grew older, and was given to me by a petstore employee because she didn't want to see him go as a feeder. He was wonderful.. affectionate... sweet... that all changed when he hit puberty. He became the nastiest, most vile, aggressive rat I have had in a long time. Neutering would have PROBABLY fixed it, but for other reasons, it was never done...

good luck.. I know siamese small mammals are cursed for me, though.. LOL!

also know that mice CAN get pregnant IMMEDIATELY after giving birth... so it's a good chance they're pregnant despite having just had litters/are lactating
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 05:42 PM

I wish I had the courage to do what you did, persuade someone to do something nicer for animals. I dream about it, but never actually do it.
I can't wait to see pictures! And name one Riku!
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the comments and well wishes! I really appreciate it. I just woke up from a nap (I was exhausted after today) and had to go see if what happened earlier really happened. Yep, it did...three mice sleeping soundly, the tiny baby curled up with one of the girls, and the other up in the CritterTrail lookout.

DragonTamer, thank you for the advice. I asked the pet store if they could be pregnant and they said "Uh, there haven't really been males in there for awhile...... " Sheesh I swear! Why do I even bother asking them questions??? Hopefully they aren't pregnant but if they are I'll deal with it and find them homes or keep them. The two girls are rather large, especially the siamese one, so they could be. I don't know.

Natalie, thanks girl. You know, what I did was good for those three mice but I need to learn that I can't save them all. I have a little too much activist in me, which is fine, but if I'm going to be like that I need to work on starting a rescue where I foster and then find homes for them. I have room for the three but I can't keep doing that. I wish I could save them all but I know I can't. What I really wish is that they didn't need to be saved in the first place!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:43 PM

My parents always tell me I can't save them all too. I saved Squeaky from being fed to a snake, so I know the happy feeling. All the people at the pet store were like way to go! which was pretty cool. But snakes have to eat too, same with cats and dogs and...cockatoos. Nature can be cruel.
Pssst...Riku...
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
But snakes have to eat too, same with cats and dogs and...cockatoos. Nature can be cruel.
Pssst...Riku...
Yep, but there are frozen options that are much more humane.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:50 PM

That's true. I still could never do that. When I see my friend feed her gecko crickets I have to leave the room. I feel so bad for creatures that I despise. Sometimes I wish I just didn't care...
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

lolz when my brother had firebellied toads i used to sneak a couple crickets and keep them but then he would get them and feed them to his toadies they were such cute little toadies but i didnt like watching them eat.......
congrats on ur new mousies did u post pics yet???????

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
Sometimes I wish I just didn't care...
I know, it would be a lot easier on me if I didn't care. But then I wouldn't be helping animals.

Tags
cage cleaning, female mice, hamster cage, kitty litter, male mice, pet mice, pet store, pet stores, wire mesh, wonderful pets