I've really lost it now! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I've really lost it now!

Just put me in a straight jacket and send me to the mental hospital. I am officially insane. When will I learn that I cannot save all animals?

No, I didn't get another rat. What I did get are three mice. I don't even know what to say. I was bored after work so I went to a pet store (always dangerous) and there was a guy buying mice to feed his snakes. I always cringe when I see this. It makes me so sad. Two of the mice were mommy mice, with adorable coloring, and one of them was a tiny baby (to feed his smaller snake). Well I had a lot of time on my hands so I started talking to this kid, trying to persuade him to buy frozen feeders instead. He bought the mice and I was still talking to him. I said I would buy frozen feeders for him if he spared the mice. So he was like "Well what am I going to do with these mice?" And I said "I'll take them." So I ended up with three mice and he ended up with frozen mice. So I saved three mice. But now they are mine and who knows what Mike is going to think. I'm sure he will be fine with it but he will think I've lost it and he will tell me that I can't save them all. Well I agree with him. I really think I have lost it and I need to realize that I can't save them all. I almost wish he would just say "Steph, you can't get anymore!!!!" But he's not like that so I need to tell myself that I can't get anymore!

Anyway...the three girls are in my old hamster cage (the Crittertrail One) and have settled in nicely. Two of the girls are very fat and I'm praying they aren't pregnant. The petstore people said they are fat because they were nursing babies.

So, I saved three from being eaten and they will now have a good life for the first time. I am sad that things are like this though, and there will be many more mice that are used to breed babies to be food for snakes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Stephanie, you have such a big heart! You know you have to take pics of your new mice. I know absolutely nothing about mice. Are they clean like rats? What food do they eat? Are they friendly? Stephanie, it would have taken every ounce of strength and then some for you to turn your back on the mice. Congrats on your mousies.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

that's cool that you took them. but you can't save every one. don't get so many that you get overwhelmed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
that's cool that you took them. but you can't save every one. don't get so many that you get overwhelmed!
I know. I won't.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

ok! but it's good that you saved them. how are they doing?

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
ok! but it's good that you saved them. how are they doing?
Good. Settling in.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I have nothing to say here... LOL... well, one thing... pics! 8D

(Denise... no mice are not clean like rats... out of the rodents I have owned, the most messy are the mice.. They even pee in the wheel! yuck... steph... get them one of those mesh wheels... it will save you trouble and be safe for them.)

Dimaris

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks for the advice. Denise, you are so sweet! Thanks for making me feel a little better.

Padfoot, my ratties pee on their hammocks and in their bed, so they aren't that clean either. Thanks for the advice about the wheel! I'll post pics soon.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:34 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

Mice are QUITE messy, and the also have a distinct ODOR, if you will, LOL!

But that hasn't stopped me from being a proud mousie mom for almost 2 years now!

I am so glad to hear from rat owners who end up getting mice, because being a mouse enthusiast myself, the more the merrier in this forum...which is normally rat dominated!

Mice are WONDERFUL pets and they are so sweet and gentle and easy to handle. They are basically identicle to rats, actually, only not as intelligent. But in their instincts and mannerisms I think you will soon find that they are similar.

Congrats, and YES, you have a gigantic !!!

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

OMG Stephanie! Why am I not surprised Congrats on saving the lives of 3 little mice today and congrats on the new additions to your family

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Hey, when you've waited as long as I have....

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Padfoot, my ratties pee on their hammocks and in their bed, so they aren't that clean either.

Reading that actually made me feel better! I thought Nemo was a pigpen because he pees and likes to sit in it!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
Hey, when you've waited as long as I have....

Huh? Where did that come from?
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks everyone! I just wish my brain was as big as my heart! I talked to Mike and he isn't mad. He understands me and he knew what I was trying to do. I told him I know I can't save them all and I have to stop somewhere. I also said that if I had any luck volunteering somewhere, I would feel like I'm doing something and not need to save as many animals! But I have had the worst luck and no organizations ever call me back. Mike encouraged me to keep trying. He is so wonderful sometimes!

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Congrats Steph!!! Big recommendation for you to help with the smell of the mice.....use recycled paper kitty litter as their bedding! I'm serious!!!! It isn't the cheapest method but it absorbs soooooo many odours. Without it I'd be cleaning my mouse cage every single day, with it I clean it out once a week. And my girls poo on their critter wheel but I find it easier to clean than a mesh one. Oh and go and get some wire mesh to attach to the outside of the cage.....the baby will crawl right through those bars....trust me!!!! Everyone told me with my first mice that they wouldn't get out, well one day I walked in and their was Magic, on the outside of the cage!!!! I had to lock them in the lookout and run to the hardware store!!! I just stapled it on! It worked good...I've used the same cage for around 18 months now and why Luci has pulled the mesh off the door they are too big to get out now.

You might be lucky, Magic and Pippy were really clean, they wouldn't go to the toilet on their wheel or in the tubes. I used to have tubes on the outside of the cage. Luci and Sophie go wherever, so all the tubes have to be inside the cage (which is fine) cause I was finding urine on my computer desk and the wood was absorbing the smell

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
cage cleaning, female mice, hamster cage, kitty litter, male mice, pet mice, pet store, pet stores, wire mesh, wonderful pets