Izzy won't grow--Any ideas? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Izzy won't grow--Any ideas?

I am really struggling with my little double rex hairless Izzy. She seems great. She popcorns more than any non-baby rat I've ever seen. She plays. She cuddles. She explores. She eats great whenever she gets the chance. She has no sign of tumors, respiratory distress, or parasites and she never has! But she will not grow. She was 5 wks old when we got her in April and the babies that were born in July are already bigger than her. Also I can't seem to keep her rounded out, I feed my hairless rats multiple times a day because of their fast metabolism, but still if I miss even one feeding with Izzy or if her cagemate Clarice gets more of it you can see immediate noticeable weight loss. Then I spend the next week trying as hard as I can to put weight on her again. I've had a stool sample looked at and it was clear. And her cagemate Clarice (one of the July babies) is growing like a weed and looking great. What could possibly be keeping my little Izzy from growing and maintaining weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Adolescent Pup

Around me, all the hairless, rex, and double rex rats, especially females grow slow. I have a hairless female, Raisin, and even though she is healthy and eats like a pig, she does not put on much weight. She has a slim figure. I also have to take into consideration that she has no fur to make her look fluffy. Madeline’s baby Sidney that is still with me is almost 2 months old, so half Raisin’s age, and she is almost as big as her. (Speaking of Raisin, I need to make a thread about her and ask some opinions.)

If the vet says your girl is healthy then she just may be a slow grower. She may have been the runt, and in my experience, runts take a long time to catch up. My litter of rats were all sizes and they all got around the same amount of milk. I made sure of that by doing separate feedings. Rats are all different; maybe she is just a petite rat. I have two pet store rats, Juliet and Guinevere that were very small and petite for a long time. They didn’t start getting big or chubby until almost 2 years old.

Her losing the weight from missing one meal or not getting as much would concern me. I have never had rats lose noticeable weight that fast. Then again, she may have a higher than normal metabolism, already being so that she is double rex hairless. I suggest separating them during feeding time or giving her extra on the side. See how she does then. As it sounds like you know, hairless rats need much more food than haired rats.

What do you feed your rats? That may be a factor as well. And just a side note, how many hairless rats do you have? Around me they are rare, so getting some are very hard. I have a hairless male (Beaker) and a hairless female (Raisin). Just the right combination to get more. Hee hee. More about that in my thread though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Most of them eat a diet of about 60% rat pellets to about 30% lowfat dog food, and 10% fresh fruit and veggie. Of course the occasional treat gets thrown in to, dried fruits, yogies, etc. For my high metabolism hairless kids, I feed them more often and about once a day or once every other day I had a spoonful of the really high protein, slightly higher fat canned dog food.

I suppose it could be just an individual rat thing. You are right about hairless. My hairless have always grown slower and always lose weight more readily. Rat Fink isn't as big as he should be for his age either and he lost weight very quickly when he got a URI. But it seems that Izzy is just much more delicate about it even than my other hairless.

I did have three hairless but poor Boris (R.I.P) gave in several months ago to a chronic URI and lung scarring. Now I have Izzy who is a dumbo eared double rex with lots of fuzz on her head and shoulders and Rat Fink who is a standard eared male double rex with just very light barely there fuzz all over his body. They're not at all hard to find in this area. What is harder in this area is knowing the difference between healthy well-bred ones and ones that will die on you very quickly. We haven't had a lot of luck with most of the rats available in petstores around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:49 PM
RAT ADDICT

I would feed her extra food,like you do with the nekkids.
If that doesn't work,then maybe she has something going on inside.
I had nekkids and they had to eat extra.I only ever had one rex (I want more so bad...but they are impossible to get here) and she was always a chunky girl.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I do feed her more times a day and with more protein since she is a patchy hairless. It just doesn't seem to work as well. Today she looks a little heavier again and rounded out. But she's just not very big for her age and she loses weight over every little nothing thing.

I guess when i get the cash next week I'll just take her to the vet for a complete look over just to make sure even though she just really have any othe symptoms and she's always happy. She popcorns like crazy. She just won't grow!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:23 AM
RAT ADDICT

Hmmm...well there could still be an underlying issue with no symptoms.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:24 PM

Basically she looks and acts like a much younger rat. Like she says she still popcorns and really she is kind of old for that. It is funny. Very energetic little booger. I would think that if there were anything wrong like parasites or digestive issues or something that after all this time she would be showing some signs of issues. We have had her since about April and she was about 5 weeks then. She has grown a little but she is almost half the size or so of Gretel who was the same age and we got the same time. She is Rex where Izzy is Double.

I hope it isn't anything serious she is quite possibly the one with the most personality. Definitely the hairless with the most personality. Such a cutie.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Will It Ever Change?

maybe she's a runt?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm wondering if it's just a very small line of rats. When we picked her we met three of her litter mates and they were all smaller than other rats the same age. But then again we also met mom and dad and they were a totally normal size. I wonder if this could be a side effect of breeding two double rexes together. Maybe that increases all the issues with slow growing and high metabolism?

Tags
growing, hairless rats, weight loss