Jack ripped a nail off. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Jack ripped a nail off.

This morning when I got up I noticed something brown/red on the floors of Jack & Annies cage. When I called my husband to see what it was.. He already knew. Sometime last night -- && I don't know how, Jack had a toenail come off. Completely. And theirs blood on the floor. Hes acting fine for now. But, it just worries me how it may have happened. And was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if theirs anything I can do to prevent it from happening again. He seems to be normal now...Still walking kinda slow... Hmmmm.

Britany.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud USMC Wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

If the bleeding has stopped he should be fine. I had one who ripped off three at once (at the vet, long story, lol) and they bled a lot. They grew back a little funny shaped but nothing wrong with him otherwise. Just keep his cage clean and watch the toe to make sure it's not looking infected. In future you can try to keep the nails clipped or filed down so that they don't have those sharp tips to get caught in things.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah. I'm gonna wipe it down and then try to clip their nails myself.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

I don't know if this will help you clip nails on a rat. but my dogs hate their nails being clipped but if i can; get someone to basically put them in a head lock or just playt with their face so they aren't paying attention to me/ it's like they don't notice what i'm doing with their feet.

Pet's name: Candy

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

When you guys/ladies clip their nails how do you hold them? I can't seem to hold them correctly.. or im scared that im going to hurt them if i squeeze them or hold them too tightly. && Could you post a picture... I'm more of a visual person.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

There's no one position that works for all rats. Some I have to get someone else to hold while I clip. They need to be held tightly and securely if they are prone to squirming. You won't hurt them, they are virtually indestructible. Just do one or two nails and then let them move around a little so they don't get hysterical. Then clip a couple more. If you start when they are young and do it often it's easier. Try different things, it's trial and error. Some can be distracted with food but others get even more worked up because they want to run away and hide to eat the treat. Bottom line, make sure the foot won't move and take your time.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I put louna standing on her back legs on the elbow rest of the couch.
i hold her body and front paw in one hand and cut with the other, she moves but after a while she stops, it's just a question of patience! lol
and back legs i just get the clipper under her nails since the couch rest is pretty soft, i can get it there pretty easy and she doesn't move

Tags
ripped toenail