jigglers - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

jigglers

could i give my rat a little bit of jiggler as a treat, they wouldnt get it often but we made jigglers the other day and i thought they might like a little...

has anyone given their rat/mouse part of one?

(i am still trying to get my scaredy cat rat to eat something out of my hand )

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:29 PM

Jello jigglers? Sure. Rats are awesome...they can eat just about anything and they'll love you for it. Except for peanuts and sweet potato and too much chocolate...you should be fine.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Forbidden Foods

Oh crud...dried corn...I used to use a seed mix for treats once that had corn in it. Looks like I'm in for a butt-whoopin from rodentz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

my rat and mice food has corn and peanuts in it?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 08:48 AM

What are jigglers???!!!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Title Thief Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyman

Oh crud...dried corn...I used to use a seed mix for treats once that had corn in it. Looks like I'm in for a butt-whoopin from rodentz.

Now you have done It! ....lol

Carissasaurus Rex

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:55 AM

I give Sherlock macaroni and cheese once and a while. Is that ok for her? I also give her cooked peices of chicken(with out the bones of course)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Dried corn is usually avoided as it can develop fungus that can kill your rat. Fresh and ground corn are just fine.

I would stay away from Jigglers since its basically sugar and gelatin. If you have to give fatty or sugary foods make sure small amounts and there might be some nutritional content. ANYONE who has rats with tumours, watch the sugar carefully as it can feed the tumour and make it grow even faster.

T-man, peanuts have a lot of oil and fat, but are fine in moderation, cooked sweet potato (not the green bits) are much loved and very healthy for your rats and small amounts of dark chocolate can be given during times of respiratory distress (its a bronchodialator).

Watch the protein intake, moderate is fine, and chicken bones are also much loved by rats (watch your fingers tho! ). Don't worry about them splintering like with a dog since a dog crunches thru them and a rat gnaws...no chance of splintering.
Ask Shrek if he likes them...

(Fostered a biter boy about to be euth'd, took him in, socialized him and reintro'd to his ladylove...all in 2 weeks...miss him so much. )

Here's a list of Forbidden Foods, etc that a lot of ratowners go by...its a bit outdated but its got some good basic info.
Forbidden Foods

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 02-15-2007 at 10:10 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68
Dried corn is usually avoided as it can develop fungus that can kill your rat. Fresh and ground corn are just fine.

I would stay away from Jigglers since its basically sugar and gelatin. If you have to give fatty or sugary foods make sure small amounts and there might be some nutritional content. ANYONE who has rats with tumours, watch the sugar carefully as it can feed the tumour and make it grow even faster.

T-man, peanuts have a lot of oil and fat, but are fine in moderation, cooked sweet potato (not the green bits) are much loved and very healthy for your rats and small amounts of dark chocolate can be given during times of respiratory distress (its a bronchodialator).

Watch the protein intake, moderate is fine, and chicken bones are also much loved by rats (watch your fingers tho! ). Don't worry about them splintering like with a dog since a dog crunches thru them and a rat gnaws...no chance of splintering.
Ask Shrek if he likes them...

(Fostered a biter boy about to be euth'd, took him in, socialized him and reintro'd to his ladylove...all in 2 weeks...miss him so much. )

Here's a list of Forbidden Foods, etc that a lot of ratowners go by...its a bit outdated but its got some good basic info.
Forbidden Foods
Well I guess I was completely wrong haha. Thanks!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

np I'm a learner and I will happily dispense what I have learned/experienced, etc.

Shrekkie above was one of my many rat teachers...he was an awesome ratman.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

jigglers are jello but more set up, i gave a little bit to my scaredy cat rat and it just got mad at me and left so i gave it to the others and they perfered to fight over the apple sauce oh well. i dont think i will get it to like me with food

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 04:53 PM

LOL got mad at you. I love this scaredy cat rat.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

shes all sorts of trouble, today i had all 4 out in my room (rat proof) and she was behind their cage and i went to get her out to put them all away and she found she can squeek really loud and it makes me jump and she jumps down and hops away... (i wasnt hurting her she did it 3 times the last time i didnt jump and she didnt get down i got her in her cage and she just sat there and looked at me and hopped in her tunnel.)

i hope she grows to like me

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyman
Forbidden Foods

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle
my rat and mice food has corn and peanuts in it?

what kind of food do you feed??? they shouldnt have peanuts everyday since they contain a lot of oil and fat. And corn can have a fungus in it so they shouldnt have dried corn.

My ratties LOVE oatmeal. they eat it everymorning...since in trying to fatten them up. Also a little cooked chiken they LOVE. And some liver.

Tags
dried corn, lab block, lab blocks, rat food, seed mix