just a few questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

just a few questions

1: how often should i be handling the mom and pups? tonight is my third night in a row and i got my first nip from mom but the pups are getting more used to it. am i handling them too much and mom is getting possessive? should i go every other day?

2: moms belly is pretty big and i'm worried she may be pregnant. she's the only adult rat i have, so i know it wouldn't have happened here and even if it did she wouldn't be showing yet. i suppose it's not entirely impossible that she got pregnant at the school if one of the smaller males was able to sneak out of his cage but i sure hope she's not. the last thing i need is 26 rats (at least!). should i just keep watching her and see if she gets any bigger?

okay so i guess those are my only questions for today. thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You should be able to handle the pups for short periods of time every day. Just don't over do it at any one time. Has Mom's belly gotten any bigger since you've had her? Do you know how careful they were to keep the males and females separate?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i've been aiming for just a few minutes so i don't stress them out.

she was verging on almost skinny when i got her, but i've been feeding her more than they were giving her at my school so she's gotten bigger. her energy level has gone up and she's becoming more relaxed when i hold her. at my school we're very careful to keep males and females in separate cages, but there are a couple smaller males that could potentially squeeze through the bars. now that i think of it, though, the males' cages have different tops on them (they're all 10 gallon tanks with wire expansion tops). i'm going to check out the cages when i'm there tomorrow and see if there's any chance one could have gotten out.

today is the first day she's been comfortable enough with me holding her that i could really get a good look at her though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I bet she's just doing better and therefore putting on some weight. A lot of times rats that have litters end up a bit thin for a moment, especially if at first she was maybe not getting enough diet supplementation. At first they very rarely get off the babies plus they are feeding constantly, so it's not that rare for her to put on weight once they are a couple weeks old and a bit less helpless especially if you're feeding her better. Plus, it wouldn't be impossible, but if you've had her for a week or so and the babies are only a couple of weeks old, the males at the school would have really had to get their timing right to make that happen.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

alright, unless she gets any bigger and starts to look lumpy i won't worry but i'll still keep an eye on her. are canned green beans okay to give or should they only be fresh?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Generally, I say don't do any canned foods because they have a tendency to have excess salts, oils, sugars, etc. Usually fresh or frozen veggies are best.