Photos! Just Set up my mouse cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Just Set up my mouse cage

I just finished setting up a cage for my soon to be three female mice Let me know what you think Also the bedding is aspen and the wheel is 6.5 inches and the bar spacing is 1/4 inch ( I measured) and the tunnel is angled for easy climbing The lid of the bin is meshed on top of being drilled I really hope my girls like it I still need to add some things to chew though.

P.S. the bottom bin is escape proof despite the hole you see ( its covered with plastic thats been attached with aquarium sealant ( works wonders and pet safe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 06:53 PM
laugh often

awesome set up.

The ropes attached to the top and hammock with give the mice access to easily chew the edge of the top of the cage and the holes. I made the same mistake and had a runnaway for a few hours. Found her in the treats!

I'm sure your soon to be pets will love their new home. It looks really good compared to some of the bin cages I have seen in the past.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I was thinking that too but I wasnt sure I'll take down the hammock until I can find a better solution And the climbing things I may just put a little hammock in the top cage

Thanks

I added more tubes so they'd have more ventilation

Last edited by Elliriyanna; 02-26-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 PM
laugh often

yea the hammock and rope would do better in the top part as long as there's nothing a mouse can chew up top.

I'm glad I could help.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

there is nothing in the top they can chew or move so I'll put them up there
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

looks great

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Thanks I cant wait to bring home my girls
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
Thanks I cant wait to bring home my girls
when do u get the cuties

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

not sure I have to move and get my current pets settled in and talk my dad nto two more cages lol ... I already have three large bin cages.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Looks like a cool set-up! I'm wondering if the bottom will be ventilated enough for them? The top cage won't be a problem at all because of the wire bars, but the plastic tub might get warm easily, and not pass air quite as well, especially near the bottom of the cage. I've never had a cage like that, though, so I could be wrong. Either way, looks like it will be a lot of fun for them!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

people use aquariums and this has better air flow than that ... I have always used this type of cage and it works great

Also i switched to a 31" x 13" bin .... since i didnt feel that one was big enough and took off the top cage

The cage looks a lot dif now ... I'll add pics when i get back to my camera ...

Below are pics to give an example of the cage size and ventilation

the cage is this size( but black) with the house and an 8 in wheel and tubes and such

and the mesh is like this so its great air flow ( yes i cut out most of the lid I am using 1/4" hardware cloth)

Last edited by Elliriyanna; 03-01-2011 at 01:20 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

A very nice attempt but with not enough air flow. Mice have their own particular smell, even the girls, and that cage with its solid everything will reek in no time. You could use the small gauge hardware cloth for the top but why not also cut out the sides as well and add hardware cloth? You could use the plastic bin as your frame and have lots of air flow and be able to watch your new girls better when they are downstairs.

Here is a really good how-to...

http://www.bitterepiphany.com/bin_cage.html

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I've Already made several bin cages. Also I said that I was removing the top cage. Plus Those are not my pictures My Entire lid is cut out that top pic was to show the bin size the bottom was to show how much of the lid was cut out

Also This bin is VERY hard to cut so I can only Do the top and one side of the bins IS this ok?

This is the hole in my bin ( i switched to the old ones and dont have hardware cloth yet ) ( there will be two this size connected)

http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/a...inwithhole.jpg

Sorry the pic is so small ... Only have my phone here

Last edited by Elliriyanna; 03-02-2011 at 03:06 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Newborn Pup

very nice set up! i never thought of making cages out of bins. my rodents would be jealous

MY BABIES:

Bob
Lexi
Sophie

Misty
Midnight

Saffy
Sweet Pea
Zippy
Mandy

Pepper + 6
babies

R.I.P. Dezzie, Peaches, Puff, Pumpkin, Aurora and Ed
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Thats the old set up this is the new one. I cant wait to bring my little ones home. The wheel and food dish and house arent in the picture it still needs a few things