just and update and some questions:) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

Question just and update and some questions:)

hey (: so i have't been on much in awhile! it's lambing season here at our home; well actually its over . but we had a successful year not too much fatality! and then i got grounded:/ so now here i am!

so i had a few questions and an idea i wanna know if it will work (:
so i used to have a rabbit. and i recently remembered we still have her old cage.
so i was thinking of going to Ace Hardware and getting somethings to change it into a rat cage so i could give my boys a bigger pad. (: thing is; i need your help.

i know i need to take out the wire floor. but what can i use to make latters and shelves? and should i get a food bowl that hangs on the side?
what kind of toys do you recommend?

a fast response from anyone would be HIGHLY appreciated . thanks

My Lovely Little Zoo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel, Bentley, Easton, Karma,Patches,Harley, Sara, Jose, Flippers<33
"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hi Jetson,

Well, I am not sure how to make homemade ramps and ladders for a rat house or what you could do to accomplish that, so I am hoping some other members on the forum will see your post and offer some advice!

As for toys, boy, rats are so varied in their tastes in toys. It is a trial and error thing..trying out some toys to see if they like them or not. Here is a quick list of toys or things to have in their house that they may like:

1. Hidey boxes, or cartons/boxes, sleeping huts are essential, as rats like to have a private place to go into and snuggle up.

2. Those hanging parrot toys from the bird section of pet stores can be quite fun for rats. The kind with the cotton rope with colored blocks and such threaded through it. I used to stick little pieces of cereal, like Cheerios, or dried pasta, into the bird toy that I hung from the ceiling of their cage and they loved to climb onto the parrot toy, nibble on the wood blocks, and hunt for the cereal and pasta pieces.

3. Flannel or fleece blankets for them to play with and curl up under and over. Rats love fabric.

4. Little jingle bell cat toy balls. My boys liked to pick them up in their mouths and carry them around and play "basketball" with them, by dunking them in their litter tray, ha ha.

5. Safe chew toys like pet store vegetable dyed colored wood sticks or chew blocks.

6. I used to put a clay ceramic bowl in their house as they loved the coolness of it and they would climb in and snuggle in there too.

There are SO many toys out there and even homemade stuff you can put in their for them, and I probably forgot about 20 other toys ideas but I am sure others will see your post soon and chime in.

Hope I helped!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

P.S. You asked about attaching a food bowl to the side of the cage. That would be a great idea as it keeps the bowl from being knocked over and keeps their lab blocks off the floor. Just make sure it is low enough for them to get at their food.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

hmmm okay.soo i guess ill google the latters andsuch thanks Valdina

My Lovely Little Zoo

Diesel, Bentley, Easton, Karma,Patches,Harley, Sara, Jose, Flippers<33
"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've never made a cage, so I'm not too much help, I'm afraid. But, one thing that I always use to attach stuff to the cage is binder clips. They're very safe and will secure lots of things that you want to hang on or in the cage.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 PM
laugh often

I used square plastic food bowls and I drilled two holes in the side. Then I looped (string, wire, etc from the indside to the outside and wrapped them around the cage. I placed them in the corners. It was very spill proof and it even works on rabbits

they sell ramps and levels at the petstore but you can use cardboard for temporary ramps.

If you found the right kind of flooring you might be able to put it on top of the cage floor.
Hope these tips help

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna

Tags
rabbit renovation, rat cage