Photos! Kalyistos babies update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Kalyistos babies update

Here are Kalyistos babies they are exsacly 3 weeks and 5 days old and this week end they will be sperated boys from girls.
We are keeping most of her litter since her line has been with us the longest and was are 1st line as in came from the mice we started with. We are keeping Apollo the 2nd, Socrates the 2nd, Roland, Gelerland, and Aphrodites, Artimis is being taken by a freind.
Their is Apollo who is a Girl named after her grandfather who has passed.
Socrates who looks almost like his grandfather who is the dad to the 1st apollo. Except he was black and white and the 2nd socky is argent ans white patched with red eyes
Roland named after one of the cariters off a nights tail to go with his dad who he was named after a cariter
Artemis is names to fit his moms greek things Artemis and Roland are what I call my pit bull mice or my white face pit bull mice becuase they remind me of the pits with the all white face and red nose
Aprodites who was the one of the smallest ones who was among the hairless that attually got hair she was a late bloomer at almost 10 days her hair started to come in
Gelderland is the only satin that Kalyisto had that is agouti. She is her self satin but she was our 1st in out litter of a line breed and she is recesive were the father is more dominet then she is but depends on what female he is breed with weather he produces a lot or a little. his is receive as well but more domint then hers. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
well here they are in no perticiler order

Aphrodite

Roland and Artemis (my white faced pitts I call them)

Roland

Artemis

Gelderland (the only satin in the litter)

Sorry for the blurryness but it was cute him holding up his litte paw.

More coming.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

More of Gelderland Some of them seem to be more photo genic then others some are more intersted in jsut playing and they are getting us to the cats and dogs. they will be ready in another good 3 weeks.

Apollo who is yes a gril Even though she is a mis marked or patched uneven I call her an appalosa mouse meaning she had only spots on her rump and back like an appalosa horse and I call them that and when I tell them they are spoted like an app they know what I mean by it. i put down what they are on the B certificate but I just cal them appy mice

And last but not lest the even though I love satins but one of my prides besides my apollo is SOCRATESE

More to come.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

more of Scorarese

Mice at play

Heres Kalyisto
and then back to playing

well thats it for know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Playful Pup

Oh my, you have the prettiest little mice I've yet to see!
Do you show them? I'm sure the judges would love them

Rat Property Laws
1. If I like it, it's mine.
2. If I've peed on it, it's mine.
3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
5. If you've got something larger, it's mine.
6. If I'm chewing something up, all the pieces are mine.
7. If it's in my reach, it's mine.
8. If I saw it first, it's mine.
9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.
10. If it's broken or it tastes bad, it's yours.....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

They are precious!
Beautiful colors How do you make time for all the little cuties?
I absolutely love the first pic!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

thanks. I do plan on showing them there is a rodent fest in may but there is a dispute becuase the ARFMA is holding the rats ECMA for the mice. they are holding at the same time. And I am saving up money to go so I can take my rats to show and maybe some mice but if I dont get to show them as in I cant or dont have the extra to as in for the entry fees and other stuff, then me and my frined can go and she can show me the roaps. She goes every year and I want to go. I have been so wanting to go but always find out the last min. lol
I want to save up some money for gas, food and enrye fees but have some extra incase I want to adopt but also for any emergencys. like car breack down or other stuff.
How do i make time for all the cutties. oh wow I am having a cuttness over load here. lol I do plan on breeding some mice threw out the summer one last time before retiring them as in thier 1st and last litter and doing the rats as well becuase the mice breedign and rasing is to me easer then the rat rearing up and I can handel that.
I have gotten some one to or finnally found some one to mentor me on the blue point siames and himmies as in keeping the show points and working with them. and am still working closly to my mentor on the sieames / himmie rats even thought I dont have to I have completed mentoring. I still love to involver her.
But thanks so much. I hope that I get to take some I am thinking of takeing Sorates and silver from Kalyisots litter the sating silver one. and I may take one or 2 more form my lines that are not babies. Even if they are not show quality the can be jundeged in the pet class and it would be nice to have a judges point of veiw. I am going for the look as in show body type and healthy and temper. then I will work on show coats. Its health 1st show later I say. I want to take tattioe my nacked rat even though she would be pet class she wount know the diffrence and she loves being around people ans showing off. I do plan on maybe takeing her son luke who is more the double rex them his siblings but padawan is close but poor show but his self black sister might. I have so much planing to do. But I should get back to all the cutness now. lol

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

they're so cute!! especially the black and white one
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Playful Pup

Omg they are such a pretty colour!!
So I have a questions about Mice and Rats and I feel a little dumb for asking it but I was wondering, are Mice and Rats in the same family or not and when caring for Mice and Rats they more alike them different?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

While in the same family, they are different from each other in care.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Hey Lalyrikacrow

I've kept mice for a few years, and am looking to bring my first rats home this Saturday, but have done endless studying up on rats for the last 6 months.

Rats are by far the more intelligent and social, so males and females alike can (and need to) be kept in same sex pairs or groups, and they need a lot more room and stimulation. They also have very specific health issues like tumors and being prone to respiratory infections.

All of these things makes them potentially much more expensive to keep, since more care must be made in their husbandry to reduce the threat of life threatening respiratory infections--open ventilation in the cage, non-aromatic low dust bedding, frequent cleaning to avoid ammonia build up, very specific hard to obtain healthy diet--and effort to keep them mentally stimulated and safe in their explorations--rat proofing their play area, investing in toys and mazes--though there are ways to be frugal about it, such as building your own cage and making your own toys.

They are probably the most expensive of pocket pets to keep properly, and some would argue that occasionally, they are more expensive than cats or dogs, but that can be debatable depending on your level of dedication and how sickly your individual rat might be.

Most of us get our first rats through pet stores, but by educating yourself, you'll see it is by far the worst option for getting them, since less care is made by the pet stores to insure the health and temperament of your new rat, and often young female rats will come home to you already pregnant because no care was made in separating sexes before purchase. Plus, many (not all) pet stores (*cough* petsmart *cough*) obtain their rats from rat mills which are every bit as awful as puppy mills.

You can hedge your bets in getting a healthier, more friendly rat by going through a private breeder where they are bred for both, but getting them from a rat rescue is another fabulous option. I've found many resources for obtaining a rat through grassroots communities online such as this one. Still, many great pets have come from pet stores, and sometimes that's the only option for finding a seller.

Moving on, rats are easily as intelligent as cats, and some dogs. This means they can bond with you personally and be taught tricks like coming when called, turning in circles, running a maze etc...though some individuals are smarter than others and can learn better. Females are silly and very active and entertaining. Males are lazy lap rats who enjoy good snuggles.

As for mice, while female mice do great in same sex colonies, male mice must be kept alone. They will kill other males, and endlessly breed with other females, neither of which is a good option. Males are super stinky especially compared to their size, and so in addition to separate containers for each of them, you'll also need to have an area where their strong smell won't be an issue.

They are sweet and trusting and literally like to ride around in your pocket if they are well socialized, which most of the time only requires patience, though poor breeding can mean you might obtain a mouse that is more nippy and skittish than usual. Best bet is to let the mouse choose you. If they run up to you and are inquisitive, they're a good choice.

They are super cheap to keep, as long as you don't let breeding go out of control. They do fine in tanks as long as you are careful about over crowding. My only reoccurring cost was aspen bedding and a bag of mouse block. I briefly kept 12 mice in a 20 gallon tank. I personally didn't go more than that because that seemed to be the 'break point' of difficulty in keeping it clean and the mice starting to seem a little stressed for crowding. I later decided 8 was the best number for that size tank.

So basically, rats are much more expensive and time consuming, but much more emotionally rewarding because of their level of devotion and interaction. Mice, not so interactive or time consuming, and definitely not as expensive. They are precious though, and very worthwhile in their own way.

This is probably more than you cared to know, but there ya go!

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 02-23-2010 at 07:03 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I call mice minnie rats although personalitys are diffrent. Males are hard to keep together some have had luck like me but only 1 had to be housed alone so far. others have had luck with nuttering males in the mice world.
Rats are more social and seem to be more like a dog, were to me mice are like cats in my opion as in personality as in dogs want to be with you love to do tricks and cuddle were mice some are but they seem to be more independent and want to play and be with you when they want to and do what they want. But that is just me. some of my mice think they are not mice but humen and want to be more with me like the rats were some of my rats act more like mice. Its more personality or it seems to me that way.

Tags
mice pictures