Karma? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Karma?

Well.. yesterday was my lab animal final practical test... we had to do some procedures on mice, rats, hamster and rabbits and then euthanize them. Charles River (the lab that sends the animals to my college) sent the animals late, and the rats actually didn't make it to the test on time... they arrived when we were finishing with the rabbits, which was the last animal. Our prof. said "forget about the rats, you can take them home" sooooo.... I have a little albino ex-lab rat. I told mom about it, since sooner or later she would figure it out.. she didn't liked the idea, but I said she could do nothing about me keeping that boy... lol...

He's very scared about everything (imagine, being traveling around on a box for a day and then on to a new home) but very sweet. 8) Now, to search for a name (oh, and pictures of him later...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awwww that's SO sweet!!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:19 PM

Congrats on your new addition! Do they (Charles River) provide their standard barrier raised animals for you? I'd be a little worried about his immune system. Not tryin' to tell you your business...just kinda letting my mind wander a bit. I hope he does very well; all the Crl rats I've met have been sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Guarded by Waffles

awwww such a sweet story

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie121
Congrats on your new addition! Do they (Charles River) provide their standard barrier raised animals for you? I'd be a little worried about his immune system. Not tryin' to tell you your business...just kinda letting my mind wander a bit. I hope he does very well; all the Crl rats I've met have been sweet!
As far as I know he's not germ free nor inmunocompromised. Since these animals are used for training they buy the cheapest animals, which are raised in a controlled environment, but nothing really special. I have a hamster (Proteus) that is also a rescue from last year's class. The class last year managed to do an arrangement with the professor to keep 1 of the 2 hamsters they had to do, and they found them home (the professor refused to do such an arrangement with us). I have had this boy for a bit more than a year now, and haven't had any problems with him, I expect the same with the new rattie. 8)

And it's ok to have such worries. The animal resources center of my college won't let anyone adopt animals that may have a problem (be a pathogen, genetic problem or immunocompromise). I got a "health certificate" from the vet (who is my boss, BTW... lol).

Last week arrived a shipment of nude mice. I can't adopt one of those cause they are immunocompromised, and they live in sterile cages with sterile bedding!!! (And I have to wear mask, shoe covers, hairnet and gloves when I go check on them).
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok... here are the names I have looked up for him...

Algernon
Charles River
River
Spat (late in german)
Sen (late in norwegian)
Tardus (late in Latin)
chí dào (to arrive late in chinese)

Also, a couple of people have suggested "Lucky"

Which one do you like?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 PM

i think spat is cute and goodluck with him
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I had nekkid mice from a lab. They don't live very long. The person that gave them to me said they had immune problems/

If everything goes okay you can have a friend for that rat you got a few months ago. Do you still have her?

*Missy*
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

No, Uriel died about 6-8 weeks after I got her. 8( I posted about it. It was an odd death too... nothing seemed to be wrong with her... playing and eating treats, and suddenly, the next morning, lying dead in the middle of the cage. 8(

I wasn't planning on getting another rat for now, that's why I named this thread "Karma"... Anyways, Uriel was female, this one is male... so it wouldn't have worked out as well...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I'm sorry about Uriel...I don't remember you posting about her.

I hope this ratty turns out to be okay. Sometimes they'll surprise you. People preach about breeders and such, but sometimes other rats live twice as long.

I just read on another forum about a ratty that was a few months die from a routine spay. That's sad

Good Luck!!

*Missy*
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Here is were I posted about Uriel:

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36359

The little boy is playing on my shirt right now. I offered a piece of dog food and he ate it and I took a couple of pics. He even played a bit with the camera and has tasted all my fingers.... lol... he's a cute one!!!

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

He has such a sweet face. Any thought about a buddy?

I got fake nails put on and my rats love them...go figure. What are you feeding him?

*Missy*
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Will get him a friend eventually... just gotta get mom used to the idea of pet rats in the house (not too happy about it...)

He came with some lab block and some froot loops... and I added some of my mouse mix, which is what he's going to be fed (it's basically a modified suebee's diet...)
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:44 PM

He's a cutie, congratulations!
I like Sen as a name
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 11:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh congRATS on the little guy,he is super sweet looking and so cute!

Whynot name him Karma?????? I have a ratty named Karma (my guy is blue tho) and I was just thinking about this situation,I think I would name that little guy Karma.

Out of the choices of names you had,I like Sen.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
dog food, health certificate, lab block, pet rats