Keep your fingers crossed guys, please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Keep your fingers crossed guys, please

Creamy was having major problems last night. I went upstairs last night and I turned the light on, went over to the Degu cage and was talking to them. See, the doors are off of our closet so its like another part of our room and our desk is in our closet and the Degu cage is on top of that and the rat cage, the only none cage/aquarium (as I havent yet got another cage for them yet) , is on top of the shelf in our closet. So I was talking to Diego because he was sitting on my hand and I hear this weird noise coming from Cookie and Creamy's cage so I put Diego back, take down their cage and take Creamy out. God, I about started screaming. She couldnt breath and she sounded exactly like I sound when I'm having an anxiety attack or an asthma attack. All wheezy and horrible. I have no idea what was going on. Its possible that something was stuck in her nose, as she kept sneezing like she was trying to get something out, yet couldnt. So I put her and Cookie in the boy's cage (which is right next to our bed and is open and very airy, which I knew would help) and kept an eye on her all night. So I was up with her all night and didnt fall alseep because I was afraid if I did I'd wake up and she'd be dead . So I stayed awake and did the best I could to make her comfortable, feeding her water every once in awhile to make sure that she didnt dehydrate because I didnt see her drinking on her own.
Now, I spent the day with her, called in sick to school and stayed with her all day and the noise stopped. So, I'm hoping we're in the clear but I'm not sure.
All I can say is that please guys, keep your fingers crossed. I've had her for almost 5 years now (my rats always live a very long time) and I dont know what'd I'd do without her.
Also, I'm going to make a vets appointment if it happens again or hasnt cleared up, but all I can ask is that you keep your fingers crossed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

five years!!!! your rat is five years old!!! WOW.

I dont think I have ever heard of it....do your rats come from the same breeder...are they related at all? WOW.

As far as sneezing...see a vet...its worth it....also...put her in a well ventilated area....change the bedding....try to make it as dust free as possible, avoid cedar and pine bedding...

a closet is a bad idea, even if its temporary..i hope it helps, keep us posted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Lol, no actually, not all of them are from the same breeders but all the rats I've ever had have lived up to 5 or 6 years -shrugs-.
Yes, I moved her into a very well venilated area and also she got a bath yesterday, hoping that the water, steam and baby soap would help to open up airways more and now she's doing perfectly. Not anymore harsh breathing sounds or problems or anything.
Its hard to explain the set-up of my room lol, I'd have to take pictures and such to show you, but its really open and very venilated. Its a large closet.
But nonetheless, thank you very much =]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i d love to see pics of your room!
do you feed your rats anything in particular? do you have both sexes, and what about tumors...are those common in your rats? when do your rats start slowing down?

lol, im so full of questions bc i have Skrat, my first rat, and I really love her and want the best possible health and lifespan for her..

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

I plan on taking pictures of it as soon as I can steal my girlfriends camera again

As for what I feed them, its just a mixture of gerbil and guinea pig food with pellets and different sorts of seeds mixed in. They get dog bones as well to help keep their teeth filed down (plus, they love to eat them =]).
The majority of my female rats (I have 2 female rats and 4 male rats, currently) all had tumors and around the time that they turned 5 or so had to be put down as the tumors get large and prevent them from moving around. I've read many times that the tumors though are only common in females and not in males, though I suppose its possible for a male to get one.
They generally start slowing down after they're 5 or so, but the last rat I had put down, Oreo, who I loved to pieces (as I love all my other rats to pieces ) didnt actually start slowing down until she got the tumor which was around right before she turned five, she got two of them unfortunatley.
Haha, its okay, I'm always happy to answer questions.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

do you get your rats from the same petstore? if you spay your female rats, studies have shown that tumors occur very rarely in those female rats

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

For the majority of the time, I did but when we moved I had to switch petstores, hence the reason for me having mainly males now instead of females. For some reason, around here, its hard to find female rats.
But its okay, all of my guys are cuddly
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:57 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am happy to hear that Creamy is doing better.If it happens again,you should take her to a vet that specializes in rats and get some antibiotics.The way you explained it,sounds like myco or a RI.

Also gerbil/guinea pig food is not good for rats.It doesn't have the nutrients they need.Rats have diet requirements similar to ours,not gerbils.I feed mine a homemade diet with the things they need.They get a variety of things to nibble on and get their nutrients and whatnot.I also give them veggies/fruit and other yummies!

Thats cool your rats live so long.My longest was 3 yrs.Thats average tho,so I don't mind.I wish they would live to like 10 yrs tho!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Haha yes, me too, that'd be nice.
Mhmm, yes, mine get dried food everyday but lettuce, carrots and other veggies and some fruits and some cheerios a lot.
I made sure to do good research before I ever got a rat lol, and I've had rats since I was around 9.
So, they dont just get guinea pig/gerbil food and what not. I make sure my ratties are well cared for
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoggleSnitch
Haha yes, me too, that'd be nice.
Mhmm, yes, mine get dried food everyday but lettuce, carrots and other veggies and some fruits and some cheerios a lot.
I made sure to do good research before I ever got a rat lol, and I've had rats since I was around 9.
So, they dont just get guinea pig/gerbil food and what not. I make sure my ratties are well cared for
Oh I don't doubt your rats are taken care of well...I was just saying!

* Lisa *

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

I know, no worries

This totally has nothing to do with anything, but I really like PT lol, everyones always really nice and friendly and its just a very nice place =]
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and I meant to ask before but forgot, how large is your RES?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:58 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Oh, and I meant to ask before but forgot, how large is your RES?
Hehe...Tanjobi is a big boy.I am only estimating,but I say between 10-15 inches.I have been meaning to measure him forever...but always forget.He is actually bigger then any other male RES have seen.

And I agree...this is the bestest forum on the net! I am addicted...

* Lisa *

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Lol oh my, you do have a big boy. Oh well, my ratty boys are large.
I was just wondering because I had a turtle when I was younger, one that we found on the side of the road and I had him for a few months before we set him free again and I've been meaning to get another turtle forever but just never had the room that it required. RES would always be my choice as I think that they're beautiful ( ) so I just figured I'd ask.

And yes, I'm addicted too lol. I think its just that all the other forums I've seen, people are rude and mean even which really, just isnt called for.
Thats why I like it here so much!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:52 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Lol oh my, you do have a big boy. Oh well, my ratty boys are large.
I was just wondering because I had a turtle when I was younger, one that we found on the side of the road and I had him for a few months before we set him free again and I've been meaning to get another turtle forever but just never had the room that it required. RES would always be my choice as I think that they're beautiful ( ) so I just figured I'd ask.

And yes, I'm addicted too lol. I think its just that all the other forums I've seen, people are rude and mean even which really, just isnt called for.
Thats why I like it here so much!
Yep...I likes the RES too!It is a shame that they are often abused and neglected.Because they do require a good amount of care,many ppl get bored of them.I had like 5 or 6 RES when I was a kid,but of course all of them were given away...cept two,which died.I thought I would never ever get another one,but well Tanjobi needed a home and since I am older and responsible now,I took him in and I love him.He is about 8 yrs old and had a rough life before I got him.

Hehehe...were getting off topic now...

* Lisa *

Tags
female rat, female rats, guinea pig, guinea pig food, male rat, male rats, pig food, pine bedding, rat cage, vanilla rat