Large-scale rat & mouse rescue SF Bay Area - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 01:10 PM
leebee

Exclamation Large-scale rat & mouse rescue SF Bay Area

http://www.jotenheim.com/ratrescue.html
http://art.net/lile/ratrights/html/hw2blog.html

A mentally handicapped man in Menlo Park (SF Bay Area) has hundreds of rats and 500-1000 mice in his house, randomly breeding and in horrible condition. He doesn't understand separating them by sex.

A volunteer from Rattie Ratz (the local rescue organization) has been helping him out, sexing the animals and separating by sex, however all of the females are pregnant. They are trying to adopt them out, but he is wary of the help. This has happened before and his animals were taken away without him clearly understanding why.

They could use old cage donations (anyone have that first cage you bought for your guinea pig?), old sheets, t-shirts, other clothing to make hammocks, bedding, food, water bottles or any other donation you could offer. Please check the links on where to send donations.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 10:17 PM
Erin

is this the same one that your two new ones had come from?

Sad sad!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 03:04 PM
leebee

Yep, same rescue. I'm so glad I got my two babies out of there, they are the sweetest rats on earth.

As of this point, the local humane society has seized the remaining animals in Robert's house. A good many of the animals were DOA and they think he hid some of his mice.

The time period that PHS has to hold them has passed and most of the rats and the female mice have been taken into rescue. Some sick rats and female mice and the male mice remain at the shelter and will be euthanized. There are no homes for them, nor any rescue that can take them. Unfortunately, there are just too many.

If anyone lives in the area and is interested in adopting from Rattie Ratz (www.rattieratz.com) please contact Diane. She is in dire need of foster parents/adopters or any kind of help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Erin

good luck helping out, I'm glad they took the rest. Unfortunatly euthenizing them is probably better for them than living where they were

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 05:47 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
If anyone lives in the area and is interested in adopting from Rattie Ratz (www.rattieratz.com) please contact Diane. She is in dire need of foster parents/adopters or any kind of help you can give.
Some of the ones from PHS are still in quarantine but they have a lot of sweet, young baby rats at the moment (from a prior rescue) in addition to the various ones from the PHS and other rescues. Rattie Ratz also has some hamsters who have been taken in from various locations, including the Menlo Park home. If anyone is interested in any hamsters, please feel free to email or PM me since I am the person who fosters and places most of their hamsters. If anyone is looking for some really sweet six-week-old male or female baby rats, let me know since my friend is fostering one of the mother rats from SVHS .. the babies are so sweet and so spoiled and well taken care of! Rattie Ratz has a monthly adoption day at For Other Living Things pet store and has an upcoming pot luck next Sunday. See http://thecraftyrat.com/swapmeet.html for more info on the pot luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by skeeter224; 06-22-2003 at 05:49 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 04:54 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

After visiting Diane's rescue in April, I've gotta say: if anyone wants rats, please get them from a rescue FIRST! Don't get them from a pet store.

I was involved in the rescue from Robert's house, and he wasn't just "mentally handicapped". There were all KINDS of things going on w/ that guy that I cannot discuss here. It was really sad.

Anyway, please, if anyone is thinking about getting more rats as pets, consider getting them from a rescue FIRST! Diane is just one rescue person, and she's got over 100 homeless rats in her care. It's overwhelming. There are rescues all over the place, and rat trains, too.

Rat trains are very valuable. Say you live in FL, but want some rats that are in AZ. No problem. There is a Rat Transport list over at Yahoogroups, and people band together and help get the rats from A to B. I've participated in more than one, and they work quite well.

Some of the rats I was fostering from Robert's house now live in Amarillo, TX, some are in WA, some are in NM, and one is in San Diego, CA. They got there from my house in CA through the Rat Train.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 11:34 PM
Playful Pup

Sometimes other critters can be transported as well. Diane has transported a couple of hamsters for me and will be doing so next week (I foster their hamsters for them).

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 08:07 AM
yumyumcat

Gosh, I had no idea this type of thing existed!

Cats own me...so, I never thought to get a rat although I think they're adorable ....so sorry to hear about this situation and kudos to all those that help.

Tags
baby rats, female mice, guinea pig, humane society, local humane society, male mice, pet store