lettuce eater - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

lettuce eater

As I was cleaning my room earlier today, I got some lettuce out for Constantine and snapped some shots as she got busy eating, enjoy

had to add Alex, my mouse, he just had to know what all the commotion was about

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awwww so cute. love alex the mouse (he's a mouse right?)

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

yep!
thanks

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Awesome pics . I was scrolling down and was wondering if Alex was gonna show up. He looks like a wise old man in that picture.

Constantine certainly enjoyed her lettuce too...but the most important question here is what type of lettuce is that? Because it looks like romaine lettuce...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Part of the Pack

They are both little cuties.

Mom to:
Zippy

Pumpkin

Zoey

Co-owner to:Sweet P.
and Piglet

Rest in Peace Liberty
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Oily Chickenspew

cute pix

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyman
Awesome pics . I was scrolling down and was wondering if Alex was gonna show up. He looks like a wise old man in that picture.

Constantine certainly enjoyed her lettuce too...but the most important question here is what type of lettuce is that? Because it looks like romaine lettuce...
LOL, wise old man...hes a grummy one too, anything that goes into that house gets nipped for inspection..
i think its romaine lettuce...me not sure...some lettuce thats for sure..lol
its funny im growing my own lettuce for the guys and i dont even know what it is, this one in the pic is store brought

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Last edited by Skratikans; 05-22-2007 at 02:38 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 03:41 PM
laugh often

thats so cute. My rats take food from me then run and hide until it's all gone.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Cute pictures!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Those pictures are just adorable!!

Dimaris

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Guarded by Waffles

Great Shots

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Becareful of iceberg lettus, I was talking to some fellow rattie owners and a few vets have been geting rats in that have been intoxicated by something in the iceberg. Normal lettus is fine, I asked my vet about it and she hurd nothing so this could but nothing but just thought I'd throw this out there . SO SO SO Cute!! I love the first one lol.

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

eating too much lettuce also gives rats and many rodents diarrhea, so I try to give it to them sparingly

i ve never heard of iceberg intoxication, such in producing its own toxins, could it be E. coli contamination from strains like the O157:H7 getting into the actual plant?

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I thought that particular strain of E.coli was mainly localized to cattle and the products made from them? I might be wrong, haven't heard of O157:H7 getting into plants before harvesting. However, in general it is possible for things like lettuce be contaminated especially after it has been cut and stored away for eating later on. I've heard of E.coli(not sure what strains, maybe if someone was handling beef before and then went to cut some lettuce it could be O157:H7) and Salmonella contaminating lettuce after handling. Thorough washing before/after cutting or use can prevent the contamination problem, though...so if giving it to rats or eating it yourself just wash it well.

But yes as Skrat mentioned, the general concern with giving lettuce is that its water content is so high...and giving a rat a leaf of iceberg lettuce(which is mostly water, not very nutritious like the other, greener lettuces) that is half the size of it's body will definitely give them a ton of water and fiber. The increased water in the system can drain valuable solutes and electrolytes...leading to diarrhea and dehydration, followed by extreme sickness and possibly death. I remember reading that fresh fruits and vegetables should be given sparingly, or in small quantities to rats simply because they have a ton of moisture and can do the same stuff as mentioned above with the lettuce. Hahah okay, I'm done weeeeeeeeeeeeee
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

that E. coli strain can be found in mostly meat products since it can be present in the feces of cattle and other farm animals and in a food microbial class I heard that the E. coli can actually become absorbed into the root of say spinach or whatever plant is growing around the contaminated soil and or water, and in that case washing the vegetable would not be enough, but these are rare instances and generally its this strain of E.coli that is troublesome and I believe its been reported in the onions sold to taco bell and spinach recalls

but perhaps that iceberg worry is predominantly of the amount of excessive consumption and not necessarily bacterial contamination found by those vets

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Tags
farm animals, romaine lettuce