Litter Kickin' varmints - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:58 AM
Catma63

Smile Litter Kickin' varmints

I know it seems I'm full of questions today, but any imput on this, any advice, would be greatly appreciated. Even those who don't have ratties but keep other small rodents may have had the same problem and came up with a solution.
Ever since I got the Martin's cages, and they really ARE wonderful cages, my ratties kick litter out like you wouldn't believe. I feel like I'm vacumning 24/7. Yes, they're worth the trouble but hey, if there's a way around it, that'd be such a bonus, right? Have any of you guys had the same problem? What did you do about it? I thought about putting tape around the edges of the cage, attached to the metal but then thought (1) The adhesive would be in close contact to the ratties and they might consume it and I don't even know if it might prove poisoness to them. (2) Can you imagine what litter stuck to the inside of the tape would be like? It would look like the cage was growing moss by time they finished with it.
Is this just one of those things I must grin and bear or is there a snappy solution around it? Y'all let me know, okay? Thanks beforehand!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 09:04 AM

I don't have any rodents, but my ferrets do throw litter around. Not sure if they'd gnaw on it, but what about linoleum around the bottom of the cage--have it go up the walls a bit to stop litter flying out--does that make sense?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 09:13 AM
Catma63

Actually, YES, it does! I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 09:31 AM

you're welcome!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 09:56 AM

You can also purchase the urine guards at a pet store and attach them. We have also used strips of cardboard stuck into the side of the tray.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:39 AM
Alena

i HATE urine guards -- i am actually getting a replacement for a HUGE cage i have because it has urine guards.. No matter how much you clean them, they always look very dirty...
what i did when i lived in a place with carpet was put some lenoleum AROUND the cage on the floor, it's a lot easier to clean then carpet.. i have hardwood floors now, problem solved.... sweeping is soo much quicker.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:41 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Those are good ideas.I use 10 gallon tanks for my hamsters.20 gal for my gerbils.I built me a few cages out of wire and they kick the bedding out but not too bad.The sides of my pan are about 2 21/2 inches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
pet store