Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Nara 
#1 ·
I'm considering trying to litter train my rats. Has anyone else tried to do this? Did it work? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

#2 ·
I have done this, you put a sandbox, or anything they could dig around in- add some of their poop...and there you go....eventually they will poop there....but as far as peeing..........doubtful (mice are opposite, they will pee in the same are and poop everywhere else).

good luck with potty training your rats!

#8 ·
Good luck!

I never tried it myself, but have heard that it is easy for some people and harder for others.It all depends on the rat too.

My rat, Raymond isn't litter trained exactly...but he pees and poops in one corner only!I never trained him to do that, he did it since I got him.He was a rescue, I dunno if someone else taught him that or not, but none of my other rats go in one corner!

#11 ·
Sakura, fully littertrained. Tenshi getting better.She pees NEAR the box sometimes.I had ONE issue,thats when I moved around stuff in their cage.I think it upsetted the rats,& Tenshi went to the top shelf & pee'd. I was starting to worry it would be a bad habit she was going to take up.Last night & tonight I caught Tenshi IN the litterbox.The bedding is dry,the blankets dry.I think she's finally litter trained as well.

This site might help? Litter-training-rats

I use yesterday's news in the litterbox. I think it's great.If my rats are running around on my floor I leave the cage door open& if they need to use the bathroom they run on in,do their business,then come back out to play.

I have 2 female rats.I found training easy,& I'm a "new" owner to rats in general.These are my first rats,only had them a few months.

I'm hoping I can littertrain my mice =D

#13 ·
Well, I think my boys are too lazy, lol. They don't even get out of bed to go. I've found them lying in puddles of wee on several occasions. It's a bit of a shock if you pick them up and put them on your chest without really paying attention. And I use YN for the litter on the bottom of the cage since two of the boys have aspen allergies so I'd have to use something else. And when I tried it with the girls they just didn't get it.

#14 ·
Haha...thats funny Katie.I know what you mean,often my boys just pee in their blankies and lie in it.I know as soon as I go into the room if that has happened,because I will smell "pee in the bed".The boys don't care! Then I have to change the bedding,only to have them pee in it again! LOL...fortunatly this doesn't happen ALL the time.

#17 ·
Rock in the litter pan? Is that supposed to help with training? I've never heard of that before...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.