Little wound on Russell's hand - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Little wound on Russell's hand

Poor Russ...he always gets the health problems! Tonight during playtime I noticed a small round bump on his front left paw, right near one of the pads. It looks like he might have a tiny cut in his hand, and it was dark red in color (probably from blood inside the bump). He is incredibly squirmy, so I couldn't inspect it very well, but I rinsed it with a bit of soap and warm water, which I rubbed gently on his paw with my finger so I could feel the wound. He didn't wince or cry or pull it away from me, so it doesn't seem to bother him. It feels hard--almost like something is stuck in it, but I don't think he has anything there. Any advice? I'm not sure if this warrants a vet visit, but I definitely plan to keep an eye on it... He's still out in his playpen now, so maybe he'll let me look at it again before bed.

ETA: I just put him to bed, and he didn't want me to hold him still (typical for him) but I did get another look at it and it looks like a bump that was maybe caused by a little cut in his hand. I don't see anything stuck in it, and the bump is about the size of a pin head, dark in color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Last edited by breyer08; 01-13-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oooh, poor Russ! Gosh Breyer, I am the same as you...I know it is always a hard decision to decide whether to put your baby through the stress of a vet visit and of course, it is too bad humans don't speak rat, otherwise we could ask our rats if something hurts them, eh?

Maybe, if Russ does not seem to be limping or favoring his other front foot, and if he does not seem to be licking or pawing at it and he seems as normal as always (i.e. playing, eating, grooming) then maybe it just looks nasty but it doesn't bother him at all? Wow, wish I could give you better advice, but I know how hard it is to do the vet visit and stress out the kids! Hmmmm...

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Aww, little dude.

My only concern would be if it becomes an abscess? Maybe you can get a pic of it and post it?

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah...taking a photo would basically be impossible with him. He's camera shy as it is, but he's also incredibly squirmy (always has been!) and the wound is in a hard to see spot behind his foot. I checked him again this morning and it hasn't changed at all, and the good thing is that the surrounding area has no signs of irritation. No swelling, no redness, nothing oozing, etc. It's just a tiny little spot that looks like it has bled a bit at one time but has now hardened over. I'll keep rinsing it every evening and hope that it continues to heal. So far it doesn't look like it will turn into an abscess, and he hasn't seemed to feel any pain from it, either.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well that sounds good, if he seems like his usual self and looks happy and is acting normal, yes? Maybe it's just a little cut that is already healing over?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It's probably just a little cut, as long as you watch it and it doesn't look infected or anything it should be fine, I think
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks! I looked it over again and he doesn't seem to feel any pain or even notice it, so I'm just keeping an eye on it and hopefully it will heal just fine, as it already seems to be doing.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Newborn Pup

does he rest for long periods of time or at all on wire in a cage or any wire because if so he could be getting a disease from wire cutting into hands cover the wire with something or do something if theres wire involved so it dont happen again hope he gets better
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

No, it turned out to just be a little cut, nothing serious. And I don't have a wire cage (plastic Superpet cage--it's awesome), so it wasn't from any wire or anything. I think either he or his brother accidentally pricked himself with a toenail. The wound is getting better, though.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ahh, love that ratty mansion, don't you?

I am SO glad to hear Russell's little cut looks better! Probably just a boo-boo like you thought. Sigh of relief!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith