Live Protein? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Live Protein?

Hey guys, I was wondering what kinds of bugs and stuff I can get for my little ratties. The other day I split an earthworm in half and they each got a piece and they went absolutely NUTS over it... I didn't think until after that I should ask somebody who knows about these things. Can I keep giving them earthworms? What about mealies, or superworms? Well, maybe not superworms since they bite...... but yeah. They get egg and chicken and things like that pretty often but it was so fun watching them eat the squirming worm I was wondering what else I can give them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

If you buy clean bugs, it's fine, but try not to give bugs from your garden, you're not sure what sort of bacteria/viruses they might be carrying!
You can try also chicken bone under surveillance, my rat LOVED it and it was crazy to see she could eat through it no problem.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

No, they're not, and I don't think I am going to get them fixed. I'm happy with them living separately, and like I said, they still get along awesome unless one of them encroaches on the others' territory, which they are both learning is a no-no. We'll see how it plays out - if they start fighting for real, I will definitely take them to the vet but for now, it's all good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

wrong thread?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Haha I don't know how I managed that - this should be in my picture thread with SMokey and val (bunnies).
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for you advice BTW.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Betta Bomb

Rats are much happier together. I don't own any and I don;t know how often Lisa (vanillarat) comes here to back me up. But I've long enough with her and her rats to know this. They can live fine but it's recommended to pair them. (same goes for bunnies but I can't say much bc I have my plate full with just Kaysh) Lisa, though, feeds them crane flies, worms, pinkie mice, super worms and spiders and other such things.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Lol my rats live together, it's the bunnies I was talking about - I totally posted in the wrong thread, somehow. Gracie and Cocoa are sisters and will stay together unless something happens to one or the other.

Pinkie mice? Isn't that kind of.. cannibalistic in a way?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh, my bad!! lol I totally read that you missed the thread about the bunnies but somehow ignored it. Anyhow, pinkies? Seeing as mice and rats are different species of rodent it's not "technically" cannibalistic so to speak, but gruesome? Yes. They don't care. Rats will eat anything.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Ever heard of Muricide? Rats are actually very common predators of mice. And not just pinkies, either, they'll go after adults as well.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 02:35 PM
is a little "special"

How about Dubia roaches? Yummy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wow, I had no idea about the mouse thing - I know they are different species but still, it hits kind of too close to home for me. I'd think of my ratties having babies every time I fed them one, I don't think I', up for that. I think roaches, mealies, etc. would be where I cut it lol.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah, agreed, feeding mice to rats just seems...gruesome and too close to home, as you said!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 PM
RAT ADDICT

Rats can have super and mealy worms and crickets.I have given mine these,but I rarely do.I usually give them fish or some sort of meat...the bugs are for my scorpion.
I never tried earthworms before though.I have caught crane flies in the past and given them to my rats,but again I rarely give my rats live food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Rats are much happier together. I don't own any and I don;t know how often Lisa (vanillarat) comes here to back me up. But I've long enough with her and her rats to know this. They can live fine but it's recommended to pair them. (same goes for bunnies but I can't say much bc I have my plate full with just Kaysh) Lisa, though, feeds them crane flies, worms, pinkie mice, super worms and spiders and other such things.
I don't feed my rats pinky mice!!!!?

I NEVER fed my rats pinky mice??? Where are you getting that from? I used to feed my geckos pinky mice and my scorpion can have them,but I have never fed rats mice...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah I kind of thought that sounded strange.