Lone male rat, what to do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Lone male rat, what to do?

Well, since Hathaway's passing last night (there's a post about that in the memorial section) Skewer is on his own. I feel bad for him, but I'm not sure what I should do about getting him a friend. I don't have an extra cage to use for quarantine and during introductions and I'd hate to just throw them in together... Does anybody have any suggestions for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Guarded by Waffles

oh tough one Katie....wish I could help but I don't know the first thing about rats

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Adolescent Pup

yep thats a tough one alright! if you were to get another rat and just put them in togerther they would fight really badly - its not a good idea to put a new boy in with him. although i have five boys there is one rat that we need to keep on his own because he just doesnt get on with the other boys. Make sure you give him a lot of extra attention and loads of hugs. Maybe someone else will have a few ideas about what you could do - good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 11:46 AM

Do male rats take well to baby rats? Maybe you could get him a little companion that he'd have no reason to fight with.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

How old is Skewer? Because I really think you should try and get him a friend.Rats don't always do well alone.You could try introducing a young male to him.Thats how I go about pairing up older male rats (if I have to),I will get a younger male.There are usually not to many problems when introducing a younger rat to an older one.

Or you can get him neutered and introduce him to your girls.

If you do have to keep him alone,then make sure he gets extra attention/playtime.

I had lone rats a couple of times,because they just refused to accept a new cagemate,despite all of my effort.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm not 100% sure how old he is because we got him from a pet store. (Odd sercumstances, I wouldn't normally) But I think somewhere around 3 months.

I really don't want to leave him by himself any longer than necesary because he already seems so sad and lonely. When I went to remove Hathaway's body he ran over to it and didn't want to let me. I tried to have him come out to see me a little while ago and he ran to hide in the corner, which he's never done before, even when we'd just gotten him.

I think I'll wait a few days to see how he's doing and then go from there, but I'll probably end up trying to find a younger one to introduce to him.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 07:11 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww...poor boy is probably grieving.

My old girl Blueberry grieved badly when her cagemate,Starlite had to be euthanized.She was a really out going rat,but once Starlite was gone,Blueberry became very depressed.I had to give her extra love and treats and finally after a few weeks,she came back to her normal self.I went and got 2 young females to introduce to her,but she just would not accept anymore ratty friends.She lived alone for the remaining of her life,but was such a happy rat.

Hopefully he will come around soon and good luck introducing a new guy to him!

* Lisa *

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

I really hope he does. The odd thing is that he's never been one for treats. His brother wasn't either. They'd ignore them if I tried to give them to them, and if I left them in the cage they'd maybe nibble at them a little and go back to thier lab blocks. So I really can't do that to help him, but I have been giving him more attention than usual.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

You might have to suck it up and introduce without quarantine. I had to do that with my first rat becuase I didn't want to have him wait for another 3 weeks.
I would buy 2 boy rats. Try to find some that aren't that old. You said you didn't know his age, but if you get 2 more rats that are noticeably smaller you can be pretty much sure that they're younger. You might have to buy another cage just in case if they don't get along. You could wait a few days and see if he comes around but like Lisa said, sometimes rats don't do well on thier own.

You might be surprised also, you boy might take to new rats quickly.

*Missy*
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Rodentologist

If you can locate a reputable rescue in the area, most times they do their own quarantine, so I don't quarantine when adopting from rescues that I know quarantine their animals.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Well, thanks for everyone's advice, I've got a solution now. I got him a new cage this afternoon, so I can use his old one as a quarantine and intro cage. I'm going to start looking around for a local rescue and to see if maybe some of the shelters have any rats, although I doubt they will. Does anyone have any suggestions for where else I could look?

He seems to be adjusting to his new cage quite nicely, even though he's very obviously still lonely without his brother. He's now systematically taking all of this food out of his dish and hiding it in a corner. It's really very funny to watch.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:51 AM
RAT ADDICT

Awesome and good luck!

Try looking in local newspapers and magazines,I am always seeing ads for free or cheap rats for feeder or pet.Even try your local SPCA,they sometimes may have rats.

Are there any breeders near you?

* Lisa *

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

I've looked for breeders in the past and the closest I could find was about 3 hours away, and they didn't look very trustworthy... And the next closest was more like 5 hours. Not really practical for me.

I'll have to start looking in the papers.

He's doing a lot better today, but he still hasn't discovered the upper levels of his cage, lol. He's just running in circles on the bottom.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:16 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nara
He's doing a lot better today, but he still hasn't discovered the upper levels of his cage, lol. He's just running in circles on the bottom.
I am glad he is doing better!

Give him time! I had rats like that too,they would be in a one level cage and I would move them to a cage with levels and they couldn't figure it out.And baby rats are sooo silly too,they have no trouble getting UP the levels,but cannot figure out how to get down!

I know how you feel...no breeders round here either or rescues for that matter.I am the only one who breeds/rescues around here and I am not a registered breeder or rescue! People just contact me.I recently contacted a hairless rat breeder in BC,as I couldn't find one closer and she said she would ship,but it would be like $70!

* Lisa *

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

His last cage did have multiple levels, but it had a ramp and this one has tubes, so that may be part of the problem. And now that I think of it it did take him a while to get used to the idea in his last cage too.

I managed to find a rescue here in town and we've emailed them about a young pair they've got. Cross your fingers for me. If that doesn't work out there's another pair about 45 minutes away up for adoption that we could try for.

$70! Wow, that's insane!

Tags
baby rats, hairless rat, lab block, lab blocks, level cage, male rat, male rats, pet store