lone rat advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

lone rat advice

hi everyone. I need some advice about a lone rat. my sister adopted two young female rats from a shelter (probably about six-eight weeks?) about two months ago. about a week ago, one of them developed a tumor on her belly and by two days ago it was half her size, and the vet said the best thing we could do was just put her down. it was so sad for us with her being so young, but it was also very sad for her cagemate. the now lone rat sits in the corner of the cage and she just lies there, not even sleeping sometimes but not moving, and not really eating unless we put the food within reach of her mouth. she used to be extremely active and run around constantly.

we have taken her out all the time and pet her and given her love as much as possible in these two days, but whenever she's in the cage, she lies in the corner, and hardly even gets excited when we come near. she is obviously depressed and lonely. the vet said to just keep giving her attention but it is heartbreaking to see her like this!

it is very hard to find young rats (or any rats for that matter) around here that are not from a pet store. I need advice: should we buy a pet store rat, just this once, for a companion? should we just give her a little more time to cheer up and keep her alone?

I have two young females, as well, and we could try to introduce her to them. but I am only living here for two more months, and I know my sister would be crushed to have to lose both her rats.

any thoughts?? thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 AM

I'm really sorry to hear that =(. It's so sad, and so unfair to have to put something so young down...

I would try introducing her to your two females until you can get another female buddy just for her.

I had a similar situation before. I bought my first male rat with the idea that I'd get a second male a week later... well he developed ringworm and had to stay isolated for 2 months. He was so depressed he stopped eating, but when I finally was able to buy him a buddy - he was already 5 months old by that time - he perked right up. He was back to his active, happy self again.

So just temporarily you should introduce her to your girls. That way you don't buy the first baby rat you see available and possibly end up with either a really unhealthy rat, or a rat you don't really want. It'll buy you some time to find the right one. But be fairly quick so that she doesn't bond too deeply with your girls. It could depress her to separate her out if you wait too long.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:41 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i have a lone male rat. i'm waiting until i have more money, maybe next weekend, to get him a new little boy buddy. but yeah, it's hard, seeing them just lie there, waiting to be held. makes you wanna cry. if i were you, i'd totally get a pet store rat just this once if its your only option. try humane societies, find breeders, check online classifieds for free rats. but if it's to no avail then get a pet store rat, just remember to quarantine for two weeks before you intro them. this rules out disease. my best wishes to you

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I know what you mean- I had lost my rat Rayray in the house not long after I had them (he is back now) and it took us 4 days to get him the cheeky monkey! At first I was not completely worried... but then I saw Pepper his cage mate... he had parophrine building up around his eyes, would not eat a thing and was just lying there-motionless-
I was about to go out and get to new beautiful ciniman boys to intoduce to Pepper who had lost weight and looking distraught when we heard Rayray in the back of the sofa! We could not reach him so we got out a knife and EXTREMELY carefully cut the whole of the back of the sofa of only to reveal Rayray sitting their starring at us as if to say "what?"

so all I'm saying is yeah- go to a great lenght if you have to, but go and find a rat that will best suit your lone one, bring her home, quarenteen her and get them together and happy again-look at it this way- The longer you wait the more pain you go through, so I'm saying to do it asap hun!

good luck tons && tons!
xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone! we have been giving her supervised playtime with my girls for now, but she's still sleeping alone because my rats are being a little aggressive. and in the meantime we are looking around to find her a buddy. she seems to be doing better, especially after being out with the other girls. it's tough because she is so small, but we are hoping to find her a good companion soon!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

YAY! It's good to know she is doing better and I bet you are so excited that she will have a companion and that you are going to add a new rat to the family! keep us updated, sounds like you have everything nicely under control!
x

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Tags
cage mate, female rat, female rats, male rat, male rats, pet store