Looking to adobt a couple baby female rats, Mississippi - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Looking to adobt a couple baby female rats, Mississippi

I'm looking to adopt a couple rats I can raise from babies. My problem is that it's hard to find a breeder close to where I live in Columbus, MS. And the closest option would be the Petsmart in Tupelo, but I don't like the idea of buying them from a shop that uses animal mills for breeding, let alone the fact that they will probably be older and less use to humans holding them. Does anyone know of a breeder close to where I live or one that would be willing to ship to my location (MS or AL)? Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I'm in Birmingham Alabama. I don't know of any rattery in Louisiana/Alabama/Mississippi that would be any better option than a pet store...which is saying something (unpleasant) about the so called 'ratteries' I have run across.

Even the two I knew of who I might have considered hesitantly pointing you towards in Alabama have recently stopped breeding.

That's not to say there aren't good ones around, but if they exist, I haven't run across them.

Also, as far as I know, there are no rescues close by either.

If you really are interested in getting rats from a breeder, the closest to you would be PxRats near Atlanta, Ga. You would have to be willing to both wait for your rats, and travel to Atlanta to pick them up. She is the best breeder you'll find within several hundred miles, and her babies are extra special. I have four of her kids.

Another option would be to check out one of the larger rescues. Often they have 'rat trains' organized to ferry potential rats across country to their adoption home. I'm on the list as a rat train helper Star Rat Rescue in South Dakota. She currently has a large hundred plus rat rescue situation she's helping with and needs homes for. http://www.starsratrescue.com/

Here's info on her Rat Train: http://rattitude.com/2010/06/1286/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you very much for your feedback. I too did some research on the breeders around the Birmingham area and noticed a couple had closed. I think I only found one that was still open and it didn't stand out to me as a viable option.

I did call Petsmart above Tupelo tonight. The store there is a male only store. I kind of wanted to get female to avoid them being overly agressive to one another since there's no way to tell if they were from the same litter.

There is one other option I guess. There's a local "pet store" that has some animals. I stopped by there today and wasn't impressed with the conditions though and walked out without asking if they sold rats or if all the little ones were mice.

Anyway, I might go check the conditions at Petsmart and see if the rats are healthy or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Don't worry if they aren't from the same litter. The key issue isn't their litter status, it's their ages. If you get your males as babies---under 4 months old, they should bond well with one another, especially if you get them at the same time. In fact, even if they don't exactly get along at the pet store, the stressful ride home sharing a cage in the car will probably be enough to bond them with each other.

It's when they start feeling the hormones at about 4 months that they start showing their cheerioats and you have more problems with aggression towards new rats. But, even that could be worked with depending on assorted factors.

So, basically if you get two little small boys you'll probably have no problems. I love, love, love my big squishy lazy males. They're big puddins. There are many key differences between having males vs. females, but if introduced young, aggression isn't one of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 12-06-2010 at 08:37 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Part of the Pack

looks like star's ratties are going pretty fast, you may want to get on that. they look adorable though...

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 AM

Thumbs up Mississippi Rattery

I know that it has been quit a while since you posted this but I'm commenting for the benefit of other now I guess. I own a rattery I specialize in Silvered American Minks, Powder blues, Uk Minks, and jus American Minks. If interested in adopting please email me at mandalauren88 @ gmail.com I curently have one 8 week old litter with a few does up fpr adoption they are all mink and silvered mink but I have many planned litters ahead.

Tags
adopt, baby, columbus, female, mississippi