Looking to adopt a pair of rats in N.J - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Looking to adopt a pair of rats in N.J

I am looking for a pair of rats that have been hand raised or are very socailized. I havent determined for sure if I want males or females... I live in Passaic County NJ...hoping to not have to travel more than an hour, and would like to have the rats before Chirstmas.
I'd like to get 1 black rat, and 1 russian blue or russian sliver

Thanks!
-Grace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lil'Miss
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lilly
Estella
Paranell
Paulie
Penny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Part of the Pack

i don't know that its gonna work like that buddy, i live in DC there is a breeder down here but it will be a longer drive than 1 hour. She may be willing to meet you halfway. have you checked any rescues in your area? How old were you looking? are they Christmas presents? have you had rats before?

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I actually have found some options at a rescue that serves the new england area, so that might work, depending on exactly where the rats are.

Nope, i havent had rats before. I do have mice, so I know my stuff when it comes to bedding and handling. Plus I've done my internet research. I also have a friend thats experienced with rats so I can always ask her questions.

Not exactly Chirstmas presants, no. My parents are just going to help me with the cost because its Chirstmas.

As for age, Im pretty much looking for under a year, Ill take seniors.

Lil'Miss
Lilly
Estella
Paranell
Paulie
Penny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Hey RodentsR,

Welcome aboard. It's funny you post now as we've been having several discussions on the difficulty of quickly obtaining quality adoptable rats, especially ones that are hand raised and well socialized.

Your first bet is to look around for a local breeder, if one can be found (my closest one is a two hour drive away, and I drive to her to pick up my kids). A quality breeder will have a six month to year long wait for their babies, sometimes longer if you are looking for a specific color.

You can always find the colors you want at a pet store, but they are going to almost without exception be mill bred, which means they will be unsocialized and possibly even traumatized and hard to handle. You will also run the risk of your rats being improperly sexed by inexperienced or uncaring employees and accidentally coming home with a pregnant female. Yay, 20 for the price of one! (eep)

You can also look for rescue organizations in your area, or even if they aren't in your area, you could apply through some of the rat forums to see if you can set up a rat train where volunteers take turns ferrying your rats to you.

Here's an example of a large rat rescue who is currently working to provide transportation for a very large number of rats that were surrendered to her this year: http://rattitude.com/2010/06/1286/

There is also another rescue operation going on in California involving 1000 rats seized from a hoarder situation. They were actually featured on one of those Hoarder shows. That one is still in the very early stages, but it might be possible to get them to ferry some rats to you as they get more organized in the next few weeks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_787299.html

Here's a big rescue closer to you, in Maine: http://www.mainelyratrescue.org/rattieblog2/

You can also look at petfinder periodically: http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

Some people have had luck on craiglist, but be /very/ cautious there. Most of them are either feeder breeders or will flat out lie to you or blackmail you to dump their unwanted pets on you, as in "I know I said I had a well socialized Russian blue boy, but really have a beige hooded pregnant female who bites but since you're already here, are you going to take her or shall I just go ahead and flush her down the toilet?" Yeesh.

Yeah, if you can find a reputable rescue or a breeder, you'll be much happier with your babies even if it means you have to drive out of your way or have a long wait.

Edit (Missed your last post, oops): That might work out well for you, especially if you aren't picky with the color or age.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks very much Storyseeker! Very imformative!
Big help. I will certainly look into contacting some of the rescues you included.

Lil'Miss
Lilly
Estella
Paranell
Paulie
Penny
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Part of the Pack

thanks as well story seeker, i actually just signed up to be part of the rat ferry train~! awesome advice!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Just call me the 'Link Queen'. LOL. I knew all those library science classes a little OCRD (Obsessive Compulsive Rat-geared Disorder) would be useful.

I love the idea of a rat train. I've only helped out in a rescue transport once, but it was really awesome.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Hey!

I'm in NJ too. You might want to try calling some of the local shelters - I know a few of the dog/cat shelters in the area will sometimes get in small animals as well.

Have you tried petfinder? I did a quick search on there using my zip code and found a few rats in NJ shelters.

This one is in PA but seems to specialize in just rats. They have foster homes in south NJ which might not be to bad of a drive for you...

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/PA341.html

If you're not too picky about colors, I'll bet you could find some rats in shelters who need a home and aren't too far. Good luck!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thankyou everyone for your help!
Ive found two lovely boys, a black and a golden hooded. Not the colors that I was looking for, but eventually Ill get two more, probably girls. (the two boys are already neutered!) According to their foster mom they have very good attitudes

Lil'Miss
Lilly
Estella
Paranell
Paulie
Penny
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

RodentsR-there are a few Rattery's in/near the Philly area, and a really awesome one in NYC, Tara is willing to meet in Philly/KOP area.
They are The Rat Pack Rattery, Big Apple Rattery, Ember of Passion Rattery, Rats of Reading, Rattie Express. Here are links to their pages, also Twice Yearly in Reading PA there is Rodent Fest, held at Leesport Farmers Market, it's a great show/adoption event!

http://emberofpassionrattery.webs.com/

http://www.freewebs.com/ratpackrattery/

http://www.freewebs.com/ratsofreading/index.htm

http://www.rattie-express.com/

http://bigapplerattery.com/index.html

I hope this was helpful!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

O thankyou thankyou thankyou tweedledeedle! I think I found girls in a planned litter that I can adopt at the end of the month! Thanks again!

Lil'Miss
Lilly
Estella
Paranell
Paulie
Penny
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Yay! I'm glad to hear this!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Part of the Pack

awesome congrats~!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ill hopefully be adopting a pair of neutered boys from mainely rat rescue 1st, and if all goes well, the girls will join them at the end of the month

Thanks again to everyone!

Lil'Miss
Lilly
Estella
Paranell
Paulie
Penny
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Part of the Pack

congrats~!

Tags
adopt, black, n.j, rat, russian