Looking for guidance on caring for newborn mice! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Looking for guidance on caring for newborn mice!

Hi,

I just joined the group this weekend and was wondering if any of you benevolent souls out there could offer any advice.

After some serious deliberation my wife & I decided that this Christmas the time was right to buy our four & a half year old daughter her first pets, two mice. We did our homework, invested in a fine cage, plenty of hay, food & paper strips, and bought a pair of young female mice from a reputable local pet store. However, to our great surprise, we discovered on New Years Day that one of the newest additions to our family has started her own, and we now also have new born baby mice to look after!

We tracked down a number of useful sites on the web and also found this great forum. Hopefully we're doing the best we can (leaving mom & her brood to it, keeping everyone out of the room as much as possible, making sure their food & water is checked daily, etc), but if there's a particular website anyone can recommend, or if there might be anything we're overlooking or could be doing better, then we'd really appreciate the help!

I believe that there's no danger of the new mice breeding for at least 35 days, by which time they should be weened and will have been returned to the pet store (who, to be fair, always said that they could not guarantee that our female pair were not pregnant, and also said they would take back any subsequent offspring).

Thanks for your help with this!

Nick & Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Adolescent Pup

Im no expert at this, i've never done it before, but here's some info from a book i have that might help with understanding of the breeding, and the young. Good luck with the littluns!

"The babies are born naked, blind and deaf, able only to suckle from their mother. The average litter size is between 8 and 10, although litters of up to 18 are not unknown! It is best not to disturb the nest for a day or two, even if the doe is a placid and trusting mouse. Instances of does eating their offspring are fairly rare; but if a nursing mother panics, she may just do that - to protect her litter. Also, the doe may well dispose of any dead or sickly offspring herself, getting the litter to a manageable size.

The babies grow quickly; after a few days their ears open and they squeak more frequently. The fur begins to grow at around 4 days, and markings become apparent. The babies eyes open at 14 days and they begin to scurry around. Often the doe will carry the babies back to the nest. Babies can nibble solid food at about 10 days old and quickly learn how to seek food, although they continue to suckle for another 10 days. At this point provide extra food for the babies. A bread and milk mixture is an ideal supplement to give them calcium and vitamin B. This helps growth and development. The litter should be weaned between 21 and 28 days and removed to their own cage. After this you will have to sex them."

***This would be the best time to return the babies to the shop, but before that taking some photo's and posting them on the forum! ***

"The doe can now be returned to a normal public life but must be rested for a couple of weeks to build up her body strength."

I believe in a thing called love ~ just listen to the rhythm of my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dusty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chloe

Mildred + her 3 friends

Jellybean + Caesar
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Well, I've never bred mice, but I can give you a website that I think is useful. http://koti.mbnet.fi/haisulit/engp/bpractice.html Good luck with the babies. 8)

Dimaris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

You are seriously going to take them back to the pet store? Please don't do that. Pet stores in generall are not "reputable" and this one sounds like a prime example. If you take them back they will probablly end up pregnant again, and or in a snakes belly. Please rethink that decision!! Where are you from? Will you consider finding them homes? I am willing to help in that endevor in any way I can, If you are any where near me (NE PA) or can arrange transport I will foster the litter and find them homes, I will even take them and mom now if neccasary or I can find somewhere for them to go, just please don't give them back, please pm or email me at [email protected] PLEASE!!!!!!!! I am willing to help!!!!!!! Ahh crap I just realized you are in london, however I know people atleast in the same country who could probablly help, please contact me!

Last edited by SugarLoveRats; 01-02-2005 at 03:54 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:59 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
You are seriously going to take them back to the pet store? Please don't do that. Pet stores in generall are not "reputable" and this one sounds like a prime example. If you take them back they will probablly end up pregnant again, and or in a snakes belly. Please rethink that decision!!
I agree! Don't take them back!
I live in England! But a few hours away from London... i live in Northamtonshire. I would take a few! How many babies are there?

Dusty

Chloe

Mildred + her 3 friends

Jellybean + Caesar
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Adolescent Pup

yaaaayyy that's awesome Zookeepa!! MAybe you guys could meet halfway???? I hope so!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 06:21 AM
Adolescent Pup

I wish i could but my mum doesn't think we'll be able to do that Any chance you'll be visiting someone near me in the near future Nick?! It's unlikely... i wish i could help!

Dusty

Chloe

Mildred + her 3 friends

Jellybean + Caesar
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:47 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

Yes, I suggest you don't take them back there, but offer them to friends you know will take care of them properly. Also, I wouldn't suggest mice as a great four year-old pet, but as long as you plan on watching her with them and guiding her in mouse care then you should be ok. I just would not leave her unattended, as mice are very fragile, as well as very quick when they want to be!

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I hope you can find homes for them. Have you thought about contacting a rescue? The pet shop that I bought Peaches (rat) from had the sexes mixed as well. When I asked if she could be pregnant, their response was "Well...we don't normally keep fancy rats so I don't know, but if she is you can bring them back." Well luckily she's not pregnant, but even if she was I would NEVER take them back. Baby rats/mice are many times sold as snakefood instead of pets. Please reconsider!

Rats have rights...& mice too!

Tags
baby mice, baby rats, fancy rats, female mice, local pet store, male mice, pet shop, pet store, pet stores