looking into mice(: - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

Smile looking into mice(:

so i'm looking into getting some mice once i start working. i have 2 rats and a gerbil and i was considering some mice to keep as well. i like having my littlezoo(:
so i want to know EVERYTHING there is to know about keeping mice. i want to be far more prepared for mice than i was rats or gerbils.

so like legit, everything you can think of. from cages to treats to health care.
thanks (:

My Lovely Little Zoo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel, Bentley, Easton, Karma,Patches,Harley, Sara, Jose, Flippers<33
"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Have you read up on any books on mice care? Getting advice from the forum is great but I would also read, read, read and research.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

P.S. on my last post...if you look into books, articles and so forth on mice, make sure they are up to date books! You would not believe some of the library books I found on rats and mice that were published in like 1972 or something.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

ha thanks. yeah i've been online constant. but your guys personal advice is nice too yah'kna.

My Lovely Little Zoo

"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 04:05 AM
laugh often

Boys tend to smell more than females but they are solitary to where females thrive in groups, at least two or more. They can tend to bite more than rats do. but personally I believe it's the way they are bred that makes them aggressive. Like rats never hold them by their tails. When they get older they are known to get tumor and the like. Also they live about 1-2 years altough some can live longer. When the cage mates pass away they can consume eachother. In small close communities of mice this is rare but it can still happen. I feel like every mouse owner should know this as it can be quite disturbing to find unexpectedly. It's sad but it is sometimes their way of grieving in nature. Now about happy thoughts- What would you like to know about them?
My fav. have always been the angoras and curly haired mice. Angoras are long haired. in my experience my angoras and curly haired mice were alot sweeter than the standard short fur. But then again I use to breed them for show. so that could have been just good genetics. My males with an exception to a few were more reclusive in nature. The females seem to bond a bit faster. Males always fight when they grow up and it can become dangerous very fast. I've had alot of mice in the past and I was only able to have two males that I hand fed from the same litter be able to stay bonded through life.

Last edited by Mousey; 01-20-2011 at 04:11 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

huh.consuming eachother? that can't be healthy. uh i'm gonna post a link right now.well two.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4189258
^^this cage.^^

or this oneee:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754676

i can't decide.
i'll be using my own money so i can spoil a bit XD

uh toys wise, good bad and ugly on them.
personal experience where should i purchase?
treats?

My Lovely Little Zoo

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
laugh often

Mice can squeeze through anything larger than 1/4 of an inch. And they are big on chewing. If you pick out those cages check the bar spacing and the inside for easily chewing and whanot. They are escape artist if given a chance. I have used glass aquariums with metal mesh lids.I also made bin cages for extra space that aquariums cannot provide. The cage needs to provide alot of ventilation. And not be placed in a drafty area. This is important for their health.

I have found breeders near me when I started breeding. But I also took in a few pet store mice that needed a better home/health care. If you can find a breeder or not just ask to hold the mice you are interestd in. In my experience if they bite on the first go round then they are a little bit more fiesty. But most of the mice I have handled that did not bite after a few minutes of handling were generally the sweeter of the bunch. If you decide on getting a girl it really is important to get a cage mate.

They like bird seed treat blocks and raisin boxes. Toliet paper tubes. Lots of hide away holes and houses. If you get more than one mouse make sure both have their own "territory" and a few extras. Mine always loved card board boxes and bits of new paper or toilet paper to nest. They also like wood blocks (no pine or cedar bedding or toys) it can lead to ri infections which can be deadly.

If you use aspen or hemp bedding it can carry mites but a few days in a freezer will take care of that problem. I also found that I love yesterdays news more than any other paper bedding. But that is a personal opinion. I try to find bedding without baking soda.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 PM
laugh often

Also check to make sure they are not sneezing alot, have clear eyes and noses. If they have a head tilt it can be a sign of an ear infection. A pear shaped mouse is also usually a very pregnant mouse

1 Cat- Luna
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

thanks so much mousey. i heard they stink. bad. ?

My Lovely Little Zoo

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 07:25 PM
laugh often

The boys have a way more pungent odor than the females. But if you clean the cage regularly it wont be too bad. I also bought bio odor "it's for ferrets" and I would get a standard water bottle and put one to two pumps of it it the bottle. That controlled the odor pretty well in my opinion. When I had mice a bottle was 7-$11. If you decide to use it you can try one pump for a few days and increase if necessary. It usually takes about 5-7 days to work. It's all natural and safe for them as well.

ps in my opinion rats had a stronger odor than the mice- and bio odor works on both. haha. some people use vanilla extract in their water but it never worked for me.

1 Cat- Luna

Last edited by Mousey; 01-22-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Tags
advise on mice, happy, how to, mice