Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Louna also has a URI :(

Tags
uri
3K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  Dustette 
#1 ·
So I went to the vet and right away the vet when she saw her said "oh no she's sneezing!" she sneezed the same as when she's at home, and the vet said it wasn't good.
She listened to the lungs and they seem fine but she could hear a lot of fluid in the nose and she's very congested.
So louna gets antibiotics for 2 weeks and a probiotic (which I'm not sure is necessary but whatever it can't hurt!)
At that hospital they do a mix of 2 meds: baytril and doxycycline. so she gets those 2 twice a day.
Poor baby :(
She was a real champ at the vet's though and kept licking me all over, and we saw a tiny little baby hooded boy a woman was getting checked out :)

#2 ·
The probiotic is a good thing as the antibiotics can mess with their little systems. Antibiotics kill off good bacteria too! The probiotic will help replenish good bacteria and keep things in balance. I don't know how much it will help, but you're right, it can't hurt. :)

That said, if your vet didn't mention it, you should not give the probiotic and the antibiotic at the same time as they might conflict with one another. They should be given at least 30 minutes apart so they are not in the stomach at the same time.

#4 ·
My vet told me to give the antibiotics morning and night, and give the probiotic in the middle of the day or at least 2h apart :) I think they're good people!
I didn't have enough money to pay it all at once so they even let me go home with the meds and pay the rest later :) (called my dad to give his credit card number as I don't have a credit card haha, I'm a horrible daughter!)
I hope the meds work and she'll stop being so congested poor little one!

#5 ·
oh and my vet mentioned something i thought was important:
if she improved after 2 weeks but I could see she wasn't perfect and wanted to continue the meds, to call a bit before the end of the 2 weeks so I could get more meds because if I stop 3 days the meds and start again she might grow tolerance to the antibiotics and they won't work as well anymore

#6 ·
Ooh, this is good to know. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on my boys, too, just in case I need to continue. Do you think they would just write another prescription, or would I have to take them in again? (I hope not!! The poor babies were so traumatized...)

#10 ·
so last night I gave Louna her first doses. hahaha!
She was such a drama queen! The first one she didn't want to lick it off the seringue of course, so I quickly squirted it by force in her mouth, since it's very little she took it but eeped! at the same time. The second one she would not let me give it to her, the second i touched her head she would wiggle like crazy to get away and eep! eep! eep! haha but i managed to force it down!
So this morning i mixed the first one with just a tiny bit of peanut butter, and the second with a tiny bit of soy pudding she loves, and she didn't notice the meds and was super happy and bruxing :) silly ratty!

#11 ·
Hahaha, Louna IS a drama queen! My boys have been really silly with theirs meds, too. The vet gave me a baytril suspension, so it's flavored like syrup, and they LOVE it! In fact, they fight each other to get the medicine, and try to grab the syringe out of my hand! (I am QUITE pleased at this, seeing as how I've always had very fussy animals with medicine!!)

#14 ·
do you guys know how long it takes to see results if the treatment is working?
she only got 2 days of treatment and i feel there's a tiny bit of improvement already! seems like she has a bit more energy and the mucus is breaking up in her nose she sounds less congested already :)
I really hope the 2 weeks will be enough :)

#15 ·
My boys have been on their meds for one week now, and I have definitely noticed a drop in sneezing, so I would imagine that Louna would probably be the same. I can still hear a bit of congestion, though they sound better than they did a week ago, so I'm going to call tomorrow to have the vet extend their prescription beyond the ten days, just to be on the safe side. (Hopefully I'll get enough for four more days to complete a full two weeks, though I'd even go for another 10 days worth.)

#17 ·
so Louna has 3 days of treatment left, the sneezing is down to almost nothing, but she snorts a little bit when she breathes (she didn't do that before the meds)
what is that from? Should I extend the prescription?

I'm gonna call the vet anyway but want your opinion.
She's on 2 antibiotics, Baytril and doxycycline. The second one is very expensive and expires in 3 days (apparently only lasts exactly 2 weeks?)
I have loads of baytril left, do you guys think I can keep her on JUST baytril a bit longer or that will serve no purpose?

#18 ·
I have not heard her sneeze once today! :)
I called the vet and she suggested to continue the treatment one more week. I'd have enough for 2 more weeks so if it's not perfect after the first week to continue.
But today the kind of snorting/squeeking with the breathing is almost completely gone and her treatment ends monday morning.

#19 ·
That's great! I'm glad Louna is feeling better!! :D My boys have also been sneezing a LOT less, and Stanley almost never does. Russell sneezes occasionally, maybe once or twice a day, but it seems like it is probably dust and dry air related, as opposed to sickness. I am glad I extended their prescription, though. They should be done with it on Sunday. :)

#21 ·
LOUNA IS OFF HER MEDS!!!! :D :D :D
she seens to have fully recovered! I think it's amazing what a month of meds did, considering that she's had this her whole life! (i thought she just sneezed a lot naturally, but now she doesn't at all ever, so she's had this for 7 months!!

#25 ·
Taking rats to the vet can get pretty expensive. I find that you get what you pay for. Typically the good vets I've seen charge $50-$60 for a check-up, plus whatever you end up paying for treatments/medicine. I went to one vet who charged only $20 for an appointment but he knew next to nothing and didn't make me feel comfortable at all. I never went back there and I never searched for a cheap rat vet again.

I think prices will vary for what area of the country you're in because I'm in a fairly high cost of living area and I often get told that my vet bills are outrageous.

#26 ·
for me personally, it was 50$ for consultation, 8$ to open an account, 40 something dollars for one antibiotic, about 12 for the other and about 10 for the probiotic. And i needed the 40 something medicine twice to be able to do a whole month of treatment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.