Louna also has a URI :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Louna also has a URI :(

So I went to the vet and right away the vet when she saw her said "oh no she's sneezing!" she sneezed the same as when she's at home, and the vet said it wasn't good.
She listened to the lungs and they seem fine but she could hear a lot of fluid in the nose and she's very congested.
So louna gets antibiotics for 2 weeks and a probiotic (which I'm not sure is necessary but whatever it can't hurt!)
At that hospital they do a mix of 2 meds: baytril and doxycycline. so she gets those 2 twice a day.
Poor baby
She was a real champ at the vet's though and kept licking me all over, and we saw a tiny little baby hooded boy a woman was getting checked out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

The probiotic is a good thing as the antibiotics can mess with their little systems. Antibiotics kill off good bacteria too! The probiotic will help replenish good bacteria and keep things in balance. I don't know how much it will help, but you're right, it can't hurt.

That said, if your vet didn't mention it, you should not give the probiotic and the antibiotic at the same time as they might conflict with one another. They should be given at least 30 minutes apart so they are not in the stomach at the same time.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm glad you took her in! My vet didn't prescribe a probiotic, but I'm sure it could help. Hope she's feeling better soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

My vet told me to give the antibiotics morning and night, and give the probiotic in the middle of the day or at least 2h apart I think they're good people!
I didn't have enough money to pay it all at once so they even let me go home with the meds and pay the rest later (called my dad to give his credit card number as I don't have a credit card haha, I'm a horrible daughter!)
I hope the meds work and she'll stop being so congested poor little one!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

oh and my vet mentioned something i thought was important:
if she improved after 2 weeks but I could see she wasn't perfect and wanted to continue the meds, to call a bit before the end of the 2 weeks so I could get more meds because if I stop 3 days the meds and start again she might grow tolerance to the antibiotics and they won't work as well anymore
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
oh and my vet mentioned something i thought was important:
if she improved after 2 weeks but I could see she wasn't perfect and wanted to continue the meds, to call a bit before the end of the 2 weeks so I could get more meds because if I stop 3 days the meds and start again she might grow tolerance to the antibiotics and they won't work as well anymore
Ooh, this is good to know. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on my boys, too, just in case I need to continue. Do you think they would just write another prescription, or would I have to take them in again? (I hope not!! The poor babies were so traumatized...)

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:55 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
The probiotic is a good thing as the antibiotics can mess with their little systems. Antibiotics kill off good bacteria too! The probiotic will help replenish good bacteria and keep things in balance. I don't know how much it will help, but you're right, it can't hurt.

That said, if your vet didn't mention it, you should not give the probiotic and the antibiotic at the same time as they might conflict with one another. They should be given at least 30 minutes apart so they are not in the stomach at the same time.
It's actually not to be given within 2 hours of the antibiotics.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
It's actually not to be given within 2 hours of the antibiotics.
Thanks, I have not used a probiotic from my vet, she just told me not to give dairy within 30 minutes but I assume there's "more" probiotic in the actual medication so that makes sense.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
Ooh, this is good to know. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on my boys, too, just in case I need to continue. Do you think they would just write another prescription, or would I have to take them in again? (I hope not!! The poor babies were so traumatized...)
my vet said she'd be happy to just renew and won't need to see the rat again, but if the infection went away but started again in a few months she might have to to see if she needs a different treatment. So I'm sure if you call your vet next week before the end of the meds to renew (if needed) they'd let you without a visit.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

so last night I gave Louna her first doses. hahaha!
She was such a drama queen! The first one she didn't want to lick it off the seringue of course, so I quickly squirted it by force in her mouth, since it's very little she took it but eeped! at the same time. The second one she would not let me give it to her, the second i touched her head she would wiggle like crazy to get away and eep! eep! eep! haha but i managed to force it down!
So this morning i mixed the first one with just a tiny bit of peanut butter, and the second with a tiny bit of soy pudding she loves, and she didn't notice the meds and was super happy and bruxing silly ratty!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hahaha, Louna IS a drama queen! My boys have been really silly with theirs meds, too. The vet gave me a baytril suspension, so it's flavored like syrup, and they LOVE it! In fact, they fight each other to get the medicine, and try to grab the syringe out of my hand! (I am QUITE pleased at this, seeing as how I've always had very fussy animals with medicine!!)

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Ohh no, poor baby!
Hopefully she gets better real soon!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

haha my baytril and the other med aren't flavored so she doesn't like it! but mixed with pudding it's perfect!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

do you guys know how long it takes to see results if the treatment is working?
she only got 2 days of treatment and i feel there's a tiny bit of improvement already! seems like she has a bit more energy and the mucus is breaking up in her nose she sounds less congested already
I really hope the 2 weeks will be enough
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My boys have been on their meds for one week now, and I have definitely noticed a drop in sneezing, so I would imagine that Louna would probably be the same. I can still hear a bit of congestion, though they sound better than they did a week ago, so I'm going to call tomorrow to have the vet extend their prescription beyond the ten days, just to be on the safe side. (Hopefully I'll get enough for four more days to complete a full two weeks, though I'd even go for another 10 days worth.)

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

Tags
uri