Louna has a lump :'( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Louna has a lump :'(

Guys I'm so worried, last night I found a lump on Louna... clearly a tumor thing. It's the size and shape of a small almond (without shell...) and it's on her back leg, more towards her belly than her butt, but on the side of her body. It seems to not be attached to anything inside and I can move it around a bit, (doesn't feel attached to the muscle) and it feels pretty hard to the touch. Pretty much not visible unless you touch it since she's a bit pudgy
I think I remember that these things grow ultra fast... does anybody know what I'm dealing with here? will it be the size of a mandarin in a month?
Should I bring her to the vet now or is it better to wait?
How much does a removal cost?
She's 18months in december.
My poor baby, I don't want her to go through surgeryyyyyy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'd definitely make an appointment with the vet sooner rather than later--if it's something that needs to be removed, it's always better to catch it early. I've never had an experience with rat tumors, but from what I've read they are pretty common (especially in females) and it's also a common procedure to get them removed. You can call your vet clinic for an appointment and also ask them for an estimate as to how much it would cost. Good luck, Louna!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

She sadly is at a common age for them to appear. Where its located is more flank than inner leg right? Feel the tumour and see if you can get your fingers almost all the way around it, or if its firmly attached all over the back, the less attached, usually the easier to remove. Each tumor will grow differently, it may grow very fast and then slow down, or continue to grow fast, or grow slowly, but its cheaper and easier on her to remove when its small.

Is your vet competent with tumor removals?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Ohhhh Louna!

Louna baby, you tell that nasty tumor to grow slow so we can get it off of you.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

so I called the vet, and she told me I need a consultation (55$) to make sure of what it is and how much it would cost. I had the receptionnist on the phone not the actual vet and she didn't really know how much it would cost and guessed at around 150-250$ I asked her to make sure but they were super busy so I have to call back later.
I am ultra broke so I don't know how I'm going to make it work.
I can put my fingers all around the tumor, it doesn't even seem to be attached to anything, it's right under the skin on her flank, i can move it around, it's very flat and hard.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

the vet told me it's 55$ for consultation and minimum for surgery would be 226$ for a 15min surgery plus tax...
is it just me or 226$ for 15 minutes is outrageously expensive for a tumor the size of not even an almond?
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That seems about right to me, though my vet costs always seem to be higher than yours do, Dustette. I haven't ever asked about a lump removal, but from other rat owners I've seen a range from roughly $100-350, depending on the ease of removal. They are pretty small animals, so I bet it's a bit harder and a more delicate surgery for the vets to perform...

I hope Louna will be ok! Please keep us updated.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

i'm going to call a vet school tomorrow, it's outside the city so it should be cheaper. I can afford about 180$ tax included... unless they can put me on a payment plan or something.
this is super unorthodox, but if I really can't afford the vet, I have friends who work with rats in labs and do tumor removals all the time to save the rats they are doing research on to continue seeing the results of their tests... that would be my very very last resort.
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I called two other vets including the vet school, and they have to call me back with a quote. I really hope one of them I will be able to afford.

This is when the money I got robbed would be extremely useful. (i was stolen 500$ that were meant as vet money for louna, that I had saved up before getting her to be sure I would be able to afford it. I put it in an envelope and then our apartment got robbed and they only took my envelope and our change rolls)
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Newborn Pup

I hope Louna is better soon and that everything works out for you
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Even the vet school it the same price.
I am now praying that the tumor grow very slowly.
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Miracles happen!!
I had put an ad on craigslist to find a cheaper vet, and a girl who has a dog adoption rescue told me to call her vet and say she referred me. Her vet only does cats and dogs normally, and they seemed a bit annoyed that she referred me since I have a rat, but they accepted to do it for about 100$!!!
I am so happy right now, I can spend 200$ on her surgery max, so I really hope it will be a bit less than 200.
I am taking her in on monday before 10 am, please pray for her. I don't like general anesthesia.
They told me she should not eat after 12am sunday night. Can she drink or I should take that out too?
I am so relieved!
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

what is it like after surgery? will she pull at the sutures? will she recover fast?
anybody has experience with this?
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hi Dustette,
I am so sorry about Louna! You asked about eating and drinking before her surgery. The articles I have read on the AMRA and other rat articles from my books and so forth, say that if a vet tells you to make your rat fast or not drink before the surgery, that this is not neccessary and can make your rat weaker for the surgery. Has anyone else read this on the rat health care sites regarding good vets and eating vs. fasting for surgery??

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm not sure what the recovery is like, since I've never gone through this myself. I'm glad you've found a vet, though I'm a little concerned that the vet only normally sees dogs and cats. Is this person qualified and experienced enough with rats to do a good job with Louna? It might be a good idea to find that out before going into the surgery next week. Regardless, I hope it all goes well for her!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

Tags
louna tumor