Lumps - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
ria
Newborn Pup

Lumps

Hi, I have 3 male mice that all live together. The other day I noticed one had a lump underneath by his back legs. He didn't seem to be in pain, he was drinking, eating and running on his wheel normally so I decided to keep an eye on it for a few days. Today there was blood in the cage. I don't know if he had scratched this lump or if it has burst but its defiantly coming from that area as the fur over the lump is blood stained. After examining him I noticed one of my other mice has a lump on the left side of his neck. Are these both cancer? I'm going to try and take them to the vets tomorrow. Will they have to be put down? Is the 3rd one going to get ill too? All are eating, drinking and behaving normally
Thank you.
Ria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
ria
Newborn Pup

*definatly
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Hi Ria,

I'm sorry your mice are having problems. At this point, the only way to know for sure is to take your mice to the vet. Likely what your mice have are either abscesses (infected pus filled pockets), or tumors, either benign or cancerous.

More information can be found here:
http://ilovemice.hubpages.com/hub/Ca...es-in-Pet-Mice

If they are abscesses, they will need to be drained by a vet, and the mice treated w/ antibiotics. If they are bengn tumors, you may be able to leave them alone. If cancerous, they'll need immediate surgery for removal. Or if inoperable, it is kindest to ultimately have them humanly euthanized.

If you can at all afford it, at the very least have your mice seen by a vet specializing in small rodent care. Shop around, as prices vary quite widely. And check on mice fancy websites to see if you can find a list of vets in your area who are recommended for treating pet mice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
ria
Newborn Pup

Thank you for your reply. The mouse with the lump on his neck has an absess. the vet drained it today and gave him an injection of antibiotics and pain killers. I was advised it may need drining again and to take him back if it grew again. The other one is a hard lump the vet said it could be cancer but the only way to tell was to remove it. He has been biting the lump and she said he could very well interfere with the stiches after the op and as he is almost 18 months old she advised to just leave him and enjoy my last few weeks with him. If it gets bigger or he seems in pain or if it really starts to bother him then to take him back to have him euthanized.

Tags
mice