Maddy's throat abscess update...not good :( (pics of blood) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Maddy's throat abscess update...not good :( (pics of blood)

If I can ever get this vet to call me back I will make an appointment for her tomorrow. I am letting her go.

Maddy is a 30 month tilty girl I took in from a "friend" who was rehoming most of her rats. The throat abscess was never mentioned and I found it soon after she was dropped off. I started her on abs and treating the abscess. The throat or tooth abscess seemed to be healing and I was very happy. Then it recurred and got a lot worse. It never responded to meds the 2nd time, and she seemed to have a vaginal infection as well. I think sweet Maddy has a raging systemic infection going on and her poor beaten up immune system has given up. Exactly a week ago on Monday she was unable to eat and drink so I have been syringing strawberry meal replacement into her. I figured she would stop eating and would pass, but she very eagerly licks her 5-10 cc's per feeding.
she came to me like this...

This is how it looked when we thought it was healing (she was on chlorpalm)

Then on May 5 her head tilt was back with a vengeance along with the infection. On May 7 she stopped eating and I started syringe feeding. For the past 4 days I have been giving her gentocin hoping that would help in her fight. Sadly on a personal note, I was injured at my new job through an employment agency and have been off work. No money, not able to walk at all while this was all going on. I am a bit more mobile now.
I found a vet fairly close by that I am trying to make an appointment at for tomorrow's euthanization.
When the head tilt came back the bleeding started as well. It was bleeding that would just keep flowing, very very disturbing.
This is her on May 13

And today

Wish her a peaceful journey. :'(

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

sounds like your doin the right thing
very gross photos
sorry
poor thing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:59 PM
laugh often

yeah it's hard to do the right things sometimes and I wish you the best and peaceful journey for the poor rattie.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm very sorry.

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm so sorry .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy

that is so sad..made me cry.
Poor little girl.
I would do the same thing too. You tried and tried and did your best.
Poor girl.

Lve Never Fails

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Rhonda

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Thank you everyone...I am just so sad that she has only been with me for 3 weeks before she has to leave. She's one of those extra-special ones.

How can you neglect a wee one like this?

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Title Thief Victim

Awww im soo sorry...You're doing the right thing!

Carissasaurus Rex

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww *hugs* that poor girl needs some physical peace, you're doing the right thing, she'll soon be in a painless place
xoxox

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

awww, at least her suffering is over and she is at peace

so in the end, was it a tumor that caused to head tilts/abscesses?

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I didn't get a necropsy done. The guess is a tooth abscess. I was hoping it was just a regular abscess that would heal with normal care. Not our luck.
Someone else mentioned an abscessed tumour.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 09:30 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

awww im soo sorry

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

awww thats so sad you did your best thoughts are with you

Chin mummy to

Zoe and Rupert
Sweet Pea and Snude
Fluke and Bindi
Sophie and Monty
No-toes
Snickers

Speights

Lily and Milo
RIP Olivia
Toby

0800 Chin Addiction Services

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm so sorry... you did the right thing

[/CENTER]