Makes me sad. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Makes me sad.

So, Jack and Annie are doing so well. They are very playful and are loving life. They like to play around the house and just being curious boys. Well, the other day my husband brought it to my attention that he wants a cat. I didn't know what to say. But, then the part that makes me sad is the fact that he wants to get rid of Jack & Annie so we can get one. It breaks my heart that he wants to get rid of them. I told him 'no', that we could get a cat and still have time with jack & annie but, he didn't like that idea. I don't know what to do. I don't just want to get rid of them so we can get a cat. And if we did decide to how do i know that they whoever gets them won't be mean to them? I really have formed a bond with them. They are amazing. What do you guys think i should do?

Britany.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud USMC Wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Hello Earthling

You had the rats first so keep them, they come first.

A lot of people keep both cats and rodents with care and consideration put into securing the cage, and training the cat to stay away.

post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 05:54 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have cats and I have rats.

I always had rats and cats the same time.
If you get the cat as a kitten,it can grow up and learn the rats are not food.Many people have cats and rats that get along and well in my situation,the rats have attacked the cats through the cage and so the cats avoid the rats now.

But you can keep the rat cage in a room that is off limits to the cats.My rats are in my bedroom where the cats are not allowed.
It is possible to have rats and cats in the same house.

Do not get rid of the rats.
I am against getting rid of one pet just to get a new one.As Kayla said the rats were there first.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I totally agree with Vanilla. It is definitely possible to have a cat and rats--I also did, back in high school, and my kitten Max learned very quickly not to mess with the rats. (One of the rats bit Max's nose once when he stuck it through the bars, and he never went near them again!)

Let your husband know that as long as you keep an eye on them in the beginning and train the cat to leave them alone (which, as you can see, should be pretty easy!), it should be fine. You definitely do not need to get rid of your rats in order to get a cat.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Im against getting "Rid" of an animal to get another aswell, you can get a cat as stated above, but think of it this way. If you were to get rid of your rats and get a cat.. then he shuddenly says " I want ...." and then he wants rid of the cat.... is it worth doing that to each pet?

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebee1 View Post
Im against getting "Rid" of an animal to get another aswell, you can get a cat as stated above, but think of it this way. If you were to get rid of your rats and get a cat.. then he shuddenly says " I want ...." and then he wants rid of the cat.... is it worth doing that to each pet?
I agree.

Did any of you guys let your rats and cats be together under supervision? As far as both of them playing together?

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I personally wouldn't let them play together. I know people do it but IMO its risky. My cats only watched my rats and never tried to get to them or anything and the rats were not scared of them either.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

If your husband doesn't want them at the same time, keep the rats and tell him to wait! Rats only live a couple of years, if he can't commit to keeping rats a few years, how is he going to commit to keeping a cat for about 15 years? you decided together to get rats, no?
I think you seem you would be happier keeping your rats, I would get a cat at the same time as the rats, but if your husband REALLY doesn't want to, make him wait if he reaaaaally loves you, he'll wait... haha
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:21 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradley08 View Post
I agree.

Did any of you guys let your rats and cats be together under supervision? As far as both of them playing together?
I have.

I always took my old rats and my old cat,Hatchet,out together.Hatchet would sniff at them and follow them around,but never lifted a paw.He also got bored easily and would just wander off after abit.

Back when I was a teenager and still living at home,we had a cat named Dusti.I would take my rats out and let them run around the hall and he would come along.He was an un-fixed male cat that went outdoors (we didn't really know better at the time) and had some prey drive.So THAT was risky.He would follow the rats around and bat at them,UNTIL one of them attacked him and latched onto his nose! He was fine,but he never bothered the rats again!

So IMO...as long as the cats grow up with the rats and don't try and hurt them,then you can take the rats out with the cats around,ALWAYS WITH SUPERVISION!

* Lisa *

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:05 AM

I've never let my cats and rats play together. I just couldn't live with myself if something happened to either of them!

But Da Vinci's cage is on the floor, and the cat's seem to enjoy watching him (it's like TV for them!), but they're not against the cage scratching and yowling to kill him.

Kick your man in the butt and let him read what we said: ITS OKAY to have them both at the same time. Cats don't even NEED much attention - they come to you when they want it.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

My rats have played with my cats! I have had my cat Rocky for nearly 5 years and i trust him totally...he is very laid back and runs around playing with my rabbits and even sleeps with them lol and my rats run along the sofa etc whilst he is sleeping and they even climb over him and he doesnt care a bit...i would never leave him alone with them obviously just incase they do annoy him and he decides he is hungry lol and my other 2 cats i have had a few months and they are still learning that the rats arent their play toys but they are getting there and have never tried to harm them and again i dont leave them alone with them and when the rats are out i also have eyes in the back and sides of my head lol! You can have rats and cats together and i dont think your husband is being fair to say you have to get rid of the rats so you can get a cat :o( rats are much nicer pets anyway lol xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree...I love my cats,but there is NOTHING like a rat!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have three cats, and lots of rats....here are a few pictures that may sum up my cats relationships with my rodents...
The first piccture is Orson my Poly Maine Coon, and my Dwarf Hammie Onichmbara (Sword Fighting Little Sister in Japanese)

And the second is my cat Lillian with a litter of rat pups whose mother died when they were three weeks old (Vinnie is from that litter)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oni2.JPG (32.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg oni3.JPG (33.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg AdoptedMommie.jpg (72.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg AdoptedMommie2.jpg (69.8 KB, 7 views)

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Rodentologist

To me this is a scary behavior... if you get rid of the rats now and then get a cat, is he going to make you abandon the cat when he wants a dog?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, we can't have a dog so i don't think hes going to give up a cat to have a dog. He wants something to cuddle with and actully knows your there.

Besides, I don't think we will get one. If we do it will be for my birthday in march when the rats get alot bigger and not only that but, the cat will be a kitten and really young. so i don't think it would try to hurt the rats then.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.