Male mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Male mice

I am sure we all have heard not to put male mice together, at least in the US (UK mice are more apt to get along). And I follow that rule, of course, because I DO NOT want fights. I was talking about mice on one of my hermit crab forums and somebody posted this:

"I ONLY keep males when I have mice. I refuse to keep females because a) I don't have a breeder around me and b) pet stores don't tend to be the brightest people when it comes to sexing. (And I've raised babies, they're cute and fun but way too much work that I don't care to put into when I'm only looking to have 2-3.) I've NEVER had a problem mixing males. Even in a 10 gallon I've always been able to safely have 2-3 males together. *shrugs* (And I've had LOTS of mice) My ex-boyfriend was a rat and mouse breeder/shower. He kept his males together too. Fighting males is a myth for rats and mice."

So, she kept 2-3 males together in a ten-gallon and it worked out? She knew a mouse breeder who kept his males together? Pray tell me how this is possible, and whether or not she's wrong.

Two cats, a dog, thirteen hermit crabs, seven mice (and babies), four African soft fur rats (and babies), two fiddler crabs, five assorted fishies, a mystery snail, an African clawed frog, a corn snake, a ball python, a California king snake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 11:44 AM

I have kept males together, but there are certain rules that you have to follow and you are still have a possibility of a fight occurring...

1. you need enough space for each mouse... a ten gallon would hold 2 males TOPS... I usually had 2-3 on a 25g bin-cage.

2. you need enough hideouts for all the mice to have at least one of their own.

3. lots of toys and things to keep them busy.

4. more than one food bowl.

5. pay a lot of attention to their behavior against one another and separate if things seem to start going ugly.

I had luck with some, and they spent their whole life together, and didn't had so much luck with others and I had to separate them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 03:55 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have had male mice together,but they were living together and raised from birth together.Males from seperate litters almost always fight and even same-litter mates can fight.It is possible,but not always successful with male mice.

Rats are a different story and much more social.Male rats almost always accept other males.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks! Maybe I'll try keeping two bucks together from my current litter. I don't agree with keeping anything in a ten-gallon, except for insects and arachnids, so they'll probably be in a bin the size of a 20-long tank.

Two cats, a dog, thirteen hermit crabs, seven mice (and babies), four African soft fur rats (and babies), two fiddler crabs, five assorted fishies, a mystery snail, an African clawed frog, a corn snake, a ball python, a California king snake
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 05:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

A 10 gallon is not really enough for 2 mice anyway....especially males!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 11:18 AM

I had three male mice that I rescued from someone doing a very stupid experiment *rolls eyes*. Anyway, I always kept them together, and they lived out the rest of their lives together. They never fought and got along beautifully. I live in the US, so they're American mice lol. I think it just depends on the animal, I've heard of sisters and brothers (rats) fighting and having to be separated, but my two rats are sisters and they couldn't be more loving to each other. Animals are like people in the sense that there are just some people you love, and some people you just can't live with. I think it's the same with animals. It's all up to them really, but you can help facilitate things to get a better outcome.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:34 PM

when i was younger i bought 2 female mice from my local petshop and later on found they were both pregnant, i ended up with 18 and kept all of them, i seperated the males from females and each sex had a tank.

I had 6 males and they all lived happily together for about 12-14 months when they began to die of old age.

I never had a problem with any of them.

I believe as long as they are together from birth you shouldn't have a problem.

Mine had one hide and all shared it, never any bickering unless i was just lucky! though i have got 2 mature males in a breeding colony of about 10 females, breeding males should be a huge risk, but they all play happy families, never a prob!

Tags
mice