Male mice together? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Male mice together?

Yet AGAIN I have been sold a male mouse being told it was a female. The result - again - a Pregnant mouse. Now becuase this has happened to me sooo many times I have decided to keep this set of mice but need to know wether the male baby mice can be kept together with the daddy mouse without fighting? If they are in the same family does it make a difference to how they get along?? Or is it best for me to return all the male babies to the pet store. We'd like to keep our original male as he is ver cute and lovable - but he has his own cage (for now)

Any help would be appreciated!! I am now certain I can sex my own mice much better that a pet store as it took me around an hour to realise he had man parts! OBVIOUS man parts - but he managed to do the deed within that hour.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Nope, male mice can't be housed together, chances of them killing each other is so high

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

This is why I always ask to sex the mice myself, I never trust the pet store employees, heh.

While there are cases of related male mice living together, MOST males will just fight. Instead of risking a bad fight, it's better to just keep them separate.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I agree with everyone else, whenever you buy a new mouse make sure you can sex it yourself just in case. They pet store people can be very careless when it comes to that. http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/sexing.cfm Here is a great site if you need some extra help on telling boys from girls.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Oh how sad! oH Well I guess I will return the male babies to the pet store - and maybe give them a lesson in sexing mice myself.

Are you sure my male mouse wont get lonely?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:43 AM

Oh im sure. I learned first hand when my sister brought two mice home from school that "got along". They both started growing up and one day the tiny skirmishes escalated and we found the bigger one with a crack open body cavity dead and being EATEN by the little male. Dont try it...give them back to the store or find homes for them yourself.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 02:34 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

They will fight sometimes even until death ): Even littermates sometimes.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Ick - Ok will definately be returning them to pet store. Annoying males seem to be a constant theme in my life!

Thanks guys
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 07:20 AM

I had a long haired silver male mouse, and a long haired calico male mouse that was living together for almost 2 years. They got along fine, until they didnt....

they got in such a bad fight that both of them ended up dying
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah, I had a similar thing happen with two of my male mice...the "alpha" male ended up killing one of his own brothers. It's definitely better to house them separately--even if they are related and grew up together!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 PM

I love all my critters but WHY!!! WHY!!! did it have to be my fancy long haired breeder mice

that was 6 years ago. I havent found a long haired calico colored mouse since! I have found some of the sliver ones though...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm sorry Those long haired ones are very hard to find! There is occasionally one or two at the Petco by me. Nobody better sell those guys for food!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

Tags
male fighting