Males or Females? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Males or Females?

Just out of curiousity,what do you prefer? Male rats or female rats?

I love them both,but must say I prefer males.I love how laid back and lazy they are,but every now and then get really playful and excited.I love it!They also seem a tad more affectionate!

Females on the otherhand can be extremely sweet too,but are more active and rather explore,only sometimes having lazy days!

Mice on the otherhand...well I like the females better.They are friendlier then males and also don't stink as much!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Part of the Pack

I've only had males, my first male was SUPPOSED to be a female, but I loves them anyway.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 08:48 PM
What If Your Mother Was Watching You

I have ever only owned male rats- really have no interest in owning females. I've had both male and female mice- and though the females always played nice and gave me no cause to seperate them into zillions of cages like the males- I would have to say my absolute baby of all time was an obese longhair golden mouse named Eli. I never had much luck keeping mice, though- won't keep them again. I am starting to be off rats, too- about to loose yet another to myco (will likely have him pts)- lost one to myco recently, and two other to a murder/suicide pact (rescues- I really don't know why they died- just know they never grew and were always a challenge), and one now that suffered a stroke and is left with a permanent head tilt- it just gets to be too much with meds and vet visits and worrying and loosing them anyway no matter what you do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I have been frosted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

males with rats (same reasons as you mentioned)
female with mice (also same as you mentioned)

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 10:11 PM
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

I've only ever had females of either species, but I'd definitely prefer to get male rats in the future.

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Well... I only have the one girl, and I adore her to bits, but I have to admit that sometimes I wish she would just slow down a bit... she seems to be everywhere at playtime! LOL

With mice, well... I have mixed feelings. About females, I like that they can be kept in groups with no problems and that they smell a lot less than the males, but the most cudly mice I've ever had have been males. Most of the females tolerate handling, jump into my hand and stuff... but the males just LOVE being handled. The only female I've had that acted like the males act was Plumita.

Dimaris

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

I've only had males, but I might as well have gotten females since they were sooooo hyper! Nemo will be 2 years old next month and he's just as hyper as he was when I got him at about a month old, he just won't slow down lol! Which used to bum me out, because the reason I got males was because I wanted something lazy. But now I like it, it makes me feel better that even though he's getting old, he's still hyper.

I'll probably own females someday, but I think I'll always prefer males.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've had both males and females in the past but i have to say i definately prefered my boys as they were much more loving and cuddly whereas the girls were a little more aloof and loved to be on the go exploring all the time, although Ophelia my last rat who was female was the most loving rat you could ask for and i think they broke the mold with her. I also kept both male and female mice and with those i prefered the females as they had a real sense of community and tended to be on the go more

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Well... I only have the one girl, and I adore her to bits, but I have to admit that sometimes I wish she would just slow down a bit... she seems to be everywhere at playtime! LOL

With mice, well... I have mixed feelings. About females, I like that they can be kept in groups with no problems and that they smell a lot less than the males, but the most cudly mice I've ever had have been males. Most of the females tolerate handling, jump into my hand and stuff... but the males just LOVE being handled. The only female I've had that acted like the males act was Plumita.
Strange,out of ALL the mice I have had,I always found the females to be more cuddly then males.The males seemed more reserved or shy!

The ONLY male mouse I have now,Timbit is very sweet tho!Porbably one of the sweetest males I ever owned.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennawing
I have ever only owned male rats- really have no interest in owning females. I've had both male and female mice- and though the females always played nice and gave me no cause to seperate them into zillions of cages like the males- I would have to say my absolute baby of all time was an obese longhair golden mouse named Eli. I never had much luck keeping mice, though- won't keep them again. I am starting to be off rats, too- about to loose yet another to myco (will likely have him pts)- lost one to myco recently, and two other to a murder/suicide pact (rescues- I really don't know why they died- just know they never grew and were always a challenge), and one now that suffered a stroke and is left with a permanent head tilt- it just gets to be too much with meds and vet visits and worrying and loosing them anyway no matter what you do.
Just out of curiousity,have you gotten your rats from pet stores?Well some,you did mention some were rescues...because maybe thats why they had so many problems.

Out of all the rats I have owned,I noticed the ones I get from breeders rarely (if at all) get sick or have problems,while the rats I rescue or get from pet stores seem to always have probs!Currently I have Raymond,an older rescue who has a tooth/jaw problem and malocclusion.He needs frequent vet visits.I also had rescue/store rats with head tilt,lice,mites,outer and inner ear infections and respitory illnesses and it has costed me alot to treat these guys.

I know ANY rat can get sick,even a rat from a reputable breeder,but thats just what I noticed...they seem alot healthier!

* Lisa *

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

all mine were petstore rats.

oh forgot to mention... my mom has females i had males.
every single female she had got a huge HUGE tumor and lost massive amounts of wieght. after surgery they would come right back. they were mammerary (SP)

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I have female mice and one male mouse. I handled the females everyday and for some reason, they seemed to become less an less tame. I found that wierd but I think I read someone else saying that happened to them also.
I have a male mouse who is my little chubby baby. He's so sweet and he loves to be held.
With rats I've only ever had males, and they are sweet. I don't think I"ll have females because I don't have the cage space right now.

*Missy*

Tags
ear infection, ear infections, female mice, female rat, female rats, inner ear infection, male mice, male rat, male rats, pet store, pet stores, reputable breeder, vet visit, vet visits