Males... neutering = no more baggage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Males... neutering = no more baggage?

Uhm yes. I was wondering if you guys could help me out. If you neuter a male rat before his baggage has a chance to uhm expand, will it prevent the package from growing too, or would the sac just naturally grow larger even though the testes are no longer present?

Sorry if this was a graphic question, but I was just a bit curious. Thank you for your replies!

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camden the Chinny Chin Chin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rosco the Miracle Puppy
Rosco's Kitty =His Baby
Cloud the Abandoned Kitten
Gyao =Spoiled Rotten
Ohana =Spoiled Rotten
=Howard the Dumpster Ham Ham
Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get. -Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

As far as i'm aware in neutering they remove the testes and leave your ratty bump free if thats what you mean

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Naked Dog Mom

I'd imagine that Amethystbelle is correct. I don't have any experience, other than to compare it to neutering a young puppy or kitten.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 05:22 PM
PKK
Newborn Pup

When they neuter cats and dogs they just snip like they do with men. However without the hormones being pumped into the body the 'ahems' decrease in size like an immature male's would be. I don't know if they just snip rodents too.

Kat

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKK
When they neuter cats and dogs they just snip like they do with men. However without the hormones being pumped into the body the 'ahems' decrease in size like an immature male's would be. I don't know if they just snip rodents too.
Over here in the UK when we neuter cats, dogs, rabbits, degu's etc...... we remove the testes completely i can definately vouch for that working in the trade and had a cat neutered last year and he's now bump free Going back to what you was saying on them "having the snip" i was reading an article on that and i do believe it has been done with some success in rats so quite an interesting thought

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for all of your input. I know the procedure very well in dogs and cats, as I am a vet tech and have actually performed neuters in the past (the testes are totally removed from the sac, the vas deferens and panpenoform plexus are ligated and then severed). My main question was about the scrotum, if a scrotal ablation needs to be performed, or if the scrotum naturally increases in size if the testes are not present.

My friend recently got a single female rat, not realizing that they need to be kept in pairs. I know of a young male that needs a home, but she didn't want to get a male if he'd have his 'baggage' still...ha.

Anyway, Thanks so much!

Mom to:

Camden the Chinny Chin Chin
Rosco the Miracle Puppy
Rosco's Kitty =His Baby
Cloud the Abandoned Kitten
Gyao =Spoiled Rotten
Ohana =Spoiled Rotten
=Howard the Dumpster Ham Ham
Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get. -Anonymous

Last edited by TheEphemeralJen; 03-30-2005 at 06:07 PM.

Tags
female rat, male rat, vet tech