Mama and babies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Mama and babies

Ok so I come home from school/work this afternoon, no ones home. I go to my room and as im pulling off my jacket hear the strangest mewling/squeaking sound. I realized it's coming from our pregnant female's cage! I go to look inside and guess what...she gave birth!!!

So from what I counted there's 11 pinkies, and Missy Boo looks like she'd been done for awhile, everyone was dry and under her. Bad part is...as soon as she saw me she started moving her babies. I glanced in a few minutes ago, just abit worried and I see her in the same pile again, but 3 were left out of the nest. I went to move the three back in and she started moving the kits again!! She's very sweet and didnt act at all aggressive towards my fingers when picking up the abandoned or setting them down with the rest of the litter.

What do i do? i dont want to scare her into flight every time I glance in to make sure no babies are alone, I dont want any to die..

Idea i had was to pick her up and distract her while putting all the pinkies together. I havent done it yet, but what do you all think???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
And yes, the albino rat does ride on my calico cat's back.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Males:
Snoogens
Ratatouii
Komakazi
Females:
Missy Boo

Zoia

Kisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 AM
Playful Pup

I personally believe that she and all her new pups will be fine. Is it her first litter? She could just be fearful for them, just trying to protect them. Let momma know that you are the gran-gran and you are no threat to them by hanging around frequently but don't interact too much if she is still showing signs of fear when you open the cage or approach.

Don't worry about touching the babies. Rat's do not reject their pups if they have human scent like some other animals. But mostly, just let them play their course. Momma will also be leaving behind a couple babies from the pile to rotate them on feeding times. She can't feed ALL of them at the same time! haha! Goodluck!!

Tags
new mom, pinkies, random