Manrat Cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Manrat Cage

Here's the cage for my boys currently.

The liners are pretty spiffy. They were custom made for my Martin's 690 by Evergreen Rattery . She put a lot of care into them. I was very impressed! The brads were an unexpected bonus. It makes attaching a breeze.

View of Whole Cage

Bottom Level

Top Level

Top Level Again (boys in upper basket)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

It looks very nice and I love those liners!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

wow it look so cool and my stly that I would live in there if I was rat sized. I line the liners they make it pop. your boys are styling man rats.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

It is done.

What's done you ask?

The Alabama Ghost Boys NEW cage.

My Martin's above, as I've said elsewhere, is too narrow in depth for longterm use with my big squishes. At 24" x 14" x 36", while I love most of the cage, it's only 14 inches deep. You can kind of see how narrow it is from the pictures. Those little mini-bins take up most of the floor space, and they're the size of your average rat cube.

It's funny that my first reaction to seeing my cage when it arrived was that it seemed so HUGE. I figured my boys would have plenty of space. Hah! I chose wrong. Sad thing is, my breeder had told me to get the next size up, but I'd forgotten and bought the wrong one. I wasn't about to pay full price for a new cage because I had been a spaz in purchasing the first one.

So, I hunted, and I lucked out and was able to get a used galvanized Martin's R685 flip top. 30" x 18" x 24".

http://www.martinscages.com/images/full/r-685.jpg <---non-fliptop version

That eighteen inches makes all the difference. The problem with buying used, is it didn't have any ramps, or levels, and the flip top was missing. Also, with the used galvanized wire, it was a bit stinky and corroded.

So, I went to work with rustoleum and elbow greese, and got some hardwire cloth, wire cutters, and zip ties. Inside I did some more creative home decorating. And so, voila. It is done.

The boys moved in yesterday, and they are having a BLAST. I can hang more toys/hammocks in there, which gives them a ton more climbing and hiding space. I also found an old plastic bowl that I cut an opening in the side with my wire cutters and used a lighter to melt and smooth the rough edges. I raided my sons' closet for outgrown sweat clothes and found the best DIY double level hammock idea: A toddler's size 3T sweatshirt hoodie. I pinned the four corners to the top of the cage with oversized safety pins and let the hood part hang down.

Now they climb in the hood access and into the 'belly' of the shirt for warm snuggles, or they lay on the top sprawled like little pashas. The sleeves dangle and they use it as a fireman's tunnel slide to get to the bottom level of the cage from the inside of the shirt.

I'll work on getting pics of the new set up. I'm pretty tickled with how it turned out. And best yet, this cage is noticeably lighter and more manuverable than the double level one I had. I can carry this with no issues even when it's fully 'loaded'. Yay my aching back.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 04-07-2010 at 05:39 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That sounds so awesome. I can't wait to see pictures!!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

wow sounds like they are having a blast, Cant wait for pictures. I know I have some pretty heavy cages, so congrates on it being light.

Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Okay, here's pictures. I just finished uploading them and editing. Funny thing? I went out to get the mail five minutes ago, and found an order of hand made assorted hammocks for my boys! Well, that just means I'll have to post more pics after next cage cleaning.

Full Front View of Cage

Right Hand Side

Left Hand Side of Cage Close View

Left Hand Side of Cage Full View

Note the DYI paint job. As I said, this came to me galvanized and icky. I sanded, primed, and painted the whole thing black.
Tools of choice: I primed with Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound, allowed to dry for 24 hours. This was followed by Rustoleum Painters Choice Gloss in Black, allowed to dry and de-fumigate for 2 weeks before use. I think it came out pretty good.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 04-08-2010 at 02:29 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

This is really awesome. I love all the space they've got!! I also really like the hooded sweatshirt as a hammock.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh, and I've got a question: Is the bottom of the cage plastic or metal? Just wondering, because my boys chewed through their plastic bottom and I've had to rig a few things to block their access to it!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I love the new cage!! I too love the toddler hoodie/hammock idea, as it turns out, we have a toddler here who has just outgrown a lot of winter hoodies!!!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

wow they seem to be fitting in. Alright Spider man in the rat cage. love spidy. lol
you did a great job with the cage stroy your boys look like kings on their thrown of a new palace that was built for them.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
Oh, and I've got a question: Is the bottom of the cage plastic or metal? Just wondering, because my boys chewed through their plastic bottom and I've had to rig a few things to block their access to it!

It's plastic. One of those standard Martin's bottoms. Near as I can tell since the wires go flush to the bottom of the bin, and the parts to which they have access are smooth and flat with no easy teeth snag-able corners. You think that will be enough? My boys aren't really aggressive chewers so far. They'll chew holes in flannel blankets, but so far they don't chew hammocks or items in the cage.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
I love the new cage!! I too love the toddler hoodie/hammock idea, as it turns out, we have a toddler here who has just outgrown a lot of winter hoodies!!!
My boys are part of the "Green" party. LOL

Speaking of which, I am such a dorky rat owner...

...the boys now have their own facebook page. Yes. I'm one of THOSE people.
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=ff#!/profile.php?id=100000948789701

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
I was hoping that would be a useful idea to pass on. Let's hear it for toddlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond01 View Post
wow they seem to be fitting in. Alright Spider man in the rat cage. love spidy. lol
you did a great job with the cage stroy your boys look like kings on their thrown of a new palace that was built for them.
Who doesn't like Spidey? They are definitely spoiled.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 04-09-2010 at 06:53 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyseeker View Post
It's plastic. One of those standard Martin's bottoms. Near as I can tell since the wires go flush to the bottom of the bin, and the parts to which they have access are smooth and flat with no easy teeth snag-able corners. You think that will be enough? My boys aren't really aggressive chewers so far. They'll chew holes in flannel blankets, but so far they don't chew hammocks or items in the cage.
Yeah, if the wires go all the way you probably won't have a problem. In my cage, the entire base is plastic--so the walls are plastic for about 3 or 4 inches, and there is a ledge that they were able to get their teeth on and start chewing. I've installed some porcelain tile around the plastic wall so they don't have access to the ledge now!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

oh my my cats Angus the late angus that is and DC have their own myspace page I made for them for other cat lovers to just talk about cats lol. I never thought of a face book page. lol

Tags
cage