Martha Has Head Tilt - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Martha Has Head Tilt

Please say a prayer for my little Martha. She has head tilt, and I'm having my mom take her to the vet tomorrow for me (I have to work and my car is broken down).

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Poor Martha. I will be thinking healthy thoughts for her and hoping all will be well with her. Keep us posted on what happens, okay?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Good luck, Martha! Hopefully it's not too serious and she'll get some ABs and be on her way home. Many rats have lived a perfectly long, healthy life with that condition. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts today.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Thinking of Martha and sending good vibes!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

It's most likely a brain tumor according to the vet because of her history with tumors. I'm getting a second opinion.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Excellent idea, I would get a second opinion too if my vet said it was a brain tumor. He/she could be wrong. Let us know what your next vet says. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Only problem is that my car is broken down and my real vet is almost 45 minutes away.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I hope you get your car fixed soon! I agree that the 2nd opinion is a good idea
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

So besides a head tilt what are her other symptoms? How old is she?

Here are some of the symptoms you may see, but not necessarily every one of them.

Inner ear infection

head tilt
foul smell from ear
general illness
seems confused or dizzy
may roll or walk in circles from the tilt

Pituitary Tumor
may have head tilt (only 2 rats of mine had it out of a lot)
light limp feeling when picked up
not able to grasp well in one or both front paws
will shove front legs stiffly out in front of them (PT pushback)
may bump head up into your hand when you stroke over her head
confusion, not able to find things
wobbly, may fall over

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 10-15-2010 at 12:15 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

She has the head tilt, very skinny but always eats everything I give her, scoots herself across the cage on her left side and definitely falls over a lot. I put her in a one story cage. So from what you're saying, sounds like inner ear, which is what I thought.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I am glad you are getting that 2nd opinion...Healing vibes to your car!

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I have the world's best parents. They took my car to Sears and got it fixed on their Sears card, 6 months no interest. So I have my car AND I have 6 months to pay off the repairs. I'm going to try to take her on Tuesday to the vet for a second opinion. There's no improvement and her motor skills seem to be getting worse. Last night I gave her a treat and she dropped it and started scooting all over the cage looking for it. I lost it and cried for about an hour. It's hard to watch.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh, I am so sorry about this, I know how hard it is to see your little baby having difficulties and not being well. I can completely understand how you cried over this. It is heartbreaking. I hope very much all will be well with your girl and that you will have some good news from the second vet. Your parents are wonderful to help you with your car! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm taking her to the second vet a 1:00 today.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Let us know how it goes??

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack